1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mental health thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Apr 27, 2022.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Twice in the last decade we had to send my teen son to inpatient care for a week. We’d have done just as well to let him feed the money into a paper shredder. Two different hospitals in our metro area, the first tied to a med school with a gold-plated reputation. They asked him to journal what he was experiencing and the written result was “Fuck You” repeated ad nauseam like Bart Simpson on the blackboard. They pronounced him fit to come home.

Second hospital took longer to get into while we cooled our heels in the ER at Children’s for a couple of days. We were willing to take anywhere else in the state. We got the newest hospital in town, a gleaming tower in the shadow of the toniest shopping district. They cut his week short because they didn’t want to staff a full shift over Thanksgiving weekend.

Hell of a system.

gingerbread and OscarMadison like this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Your post reminded me of a great editorial page cartoon I used to have cut out: It showed an elementary school-age Engler sitting in a desk with a bunch of misspelled words and a red F on his spelling quiz.

The fat and ugly young Engler smiles back at the teacher and thinks, “I’ll get even.”

Of course, about 20 years after that cartoon and all of Engler’s education cuts, Michigan voted for Trump.

gingerbread and garrow like this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Prob better than a - Life's A Bitch, Then You Marry One - shirt.

gingerbread likes this.
  5. goalmouth

Found out today that the local mental health org not only has an eight-month waiting list to speak with a social worker, but that the massive demand during the pandemic led Horizon Blue Cross to pull coverage.

Be of good cheer!

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Not surprised. Before 9/11, there were around 375 respite beds for juveniles. Most of them were at the Baby Psych at VUMC, The Plateau, and a facility in Clarksville. Then everyone who could started rescinding grants everywhere they could. By January of 2002, there were 67 beds in Middle Tennessee. I wish this was me being knuckleheaded, but it realy was that bad.

Someone got bellicose during a discussion of mental health care this past weekend. He demanded we give one example of a way things might have gone very differently if adequate mental health intervention had happened. I could solve that riddle with one name: Adam Lanza.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

A person who would ask such a question deserves no response, as it is clear that he/she knows jackshit about mental health.

It affects literally everything in one’s life.

Literally.

Everything.

OscarMadison and FileNotFound like this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Because, goodness knows, no carrier made any money during the pandemic. People and companies providing benefits for people continued to pay premiums. No one could - and too many still cannot - receive care for non-COVID-19 issues.

Yet the carriers still made more and more money.

This country's healthcare system is broken, part infinity.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well yeah, but that could have been taken care of by the GGWAG! Muh freedumz!!

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Gravy SEALS love to beat their chests about how "They woulda mortched right in there 'n taken that poonk DOWUN!" Anyone else remember when TFG said the same thing aout the school shooting at Parkland, Florida? Yeah, something like that.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. goalmouth

Hey Ryan Tannehill! Tell us you were depressed without telling us you were depressed.

Draft saved Draft deleted