1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yeah but Plessy v Ferguson was "established precedent" until it wasn't. I get the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments, but a judge is not going to say "here is exactly how I am going to rule in this hypothetical." They simply toed the party line saying other courts have decided on it.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

'Leak' aside, was the toober's return unprecedented?

He needs to bone up on what took place in the 70s re Roe.

Liut and garrow like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's not the same thing. At all.

:D

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You could not be more wrong.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Well played

Jerk :D

doctorquant likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

7. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Wenders and Baron Scicluna like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

MAGAlgebra

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So is a Supreme Court that has
    For decades now, anyone who thought themselves a serious candidate for the Supreme Court has been careful about releasing their opinion regarding abortion, because if they had firm opinions on record then it could become an issue when their confirmation hearing came around. This is particularly true of anti-abortion judges. Doing so allows them to sit in those hearings and say things like "Roe is established precedent" without having their own opinions thrown back in their face. It works great if you don't have a problem with lying in your teeth under oath - which isn't exactly a preferred qualification to sit in the highest bench in the land.

There was a deliberate campaign to seat Supreme Court judges to do this, and the day has finally come.

I am in no way anti-Catholic, but I also have extreme doubts about the wisdom of seating four members of Opus Dei (Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh) plus Barret (People of Praise, a charismatic Catholic sect). Leonard Leo, a board member of Opus Dei, is largely responsible for pushing these people through the nomination and confirmation process. Leo is also the Executive Vice President of the Federalist Society. The finances of Opus are secret as 501c3 religious organization, and no one knows who funds the Federalist Society.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The release of a full draft opinion weeks bythe decision would be announced is unique. The closest would be the release of the Roe memo. The rest were mostly early announcements of outcomes that were set.

Somebody leaked this not as news, but as a way to sway the decision.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted