1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sure it lost $6.8 million over two months, but the plan is to make it up on volume.

Typist Clerk likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If someone told you 10 years ago that today the Times would be a relatively healthy digital-only business, y'all would've laughed. The obit was already written and being copy edited for the third time in case it happened at any minute.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

This explains plenty about the acquisition.

NYT gets to count The Athletic's subscribers as its own. In return, NYT will figure out how to "streamline" The Athletic's margins to make it bleed a little less/potentially make it profitable.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The New York Times has also started to sell ads at the Athletic. As these efforts ramp up these revenues will cover some portion of the hole.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Do full, paid subscribers to The Athletic automatically become subscribers to the NYT??

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I got a notice that my full, paid subscription to The Athletic would be increasing at my next sub renewal period.

This, after seeing the "sign up for a dolla!" or whatever ridiculously low offers they were doing.

So, I canceled. I don't need it that badly.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think so. I am still paying for each separately.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am an unathletic Athletic subscriber. Never was told I could also get the NYT with it. So I’m guessing no.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

And that might be the last time a story got a second read, much less a third. ... "Do More With Less!"

PaperDoll likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sadly, you're correct. I wish you were not.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted