1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 1, 2022.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Didn't catch this watching Young Rock tonight on Dwayne's first dark match.

The other ringer they used was longtime indie wrestler Luke Hawx as Ringmaster-era Austin.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I know it would be sanitized, but I'm absolutely here for a network TV sitcom about 80s and 90s wrestling, using the guys they've cast. No wrestling action - just behind the scenes hijinks. It almost seems like a waste that they're only in a couple of episodes, and 1/3 of an episode, each season.

3. nietsroob17

I could do without the future story arc with presidential candidate Rock, but I don't mind the stuff with pre-teen Rock and teen Rock, and the stuff with Rocky, mom and grandma.

I like the inside wrestling stuff, but considering they were probably catering toward a more general audience, they probably wanted to avoid overdoing it. I think they have one more episode for each of the three eras before the season finale at the end of the month. I'm sure the finale will culminate with the Survivor Series debut and the pineapple hair.

I'd like to see a Season 3, but not sure what more they can do with the younger eras before they start to crossover on each other. They could stick with 20-something Rock and go more into his growth as a wrestler.

As an aside, I heard him mention last night that he had a second dark match after Brawler that he lost. I looked it up on ProFightDB, and of all wrestlers he could take the pin to, it was Bodydonna Skip (Chris Candido).

sgreenwell and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Damn, this is great.

nietsroob17 likes this.
  5. nietsroob17

After so long of him being just a commentator and a largely behind-the-scenes guy at NXT (save for him coming out to yell WARGAMES!), it's easy to forget just how damn good Regal is on the mic. AEW getting him on contract has been such a boon in many ways.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. nietsroob17

Amazing to think 5 of the 6 Owen Hart qualifiers so far (Jeff Hardy, Samoa Joe, Kyle O'Reilly, Adam Cole and Dax Harwood) are WWE alums, and 4 of them were on the E's payroll less than a year ago.

I think I can see two things happening: the first Darby vs. Jeff fight, and Jeff making it to the final since he's the one active guy in the company who actually wrestled Owen. Maybe Billy Gunn, but I doubt he'd get a spot in this thing.

7. nietsroob17

"We want Enzo!"
    "No we don't!"

Nice.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This AEW crowd has been a dud - which matches these matches.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fenix/Martin was great.

Huggy likes this.
  10. nietsroob17

They were pretty hot for Fenix/Dante and for Wardlow (but not as much for Morrissey). I know it was a title match, but I don't think the ROH women were the best choice to end the show on.

So it'll be Joe vs. TBD in two weeks from now to open the Owen. Do they use one of the guys already on the roster (a returning Miro maybe?), or is this where they bring on one of the big-name free agents? I froth at the thought of Joe vs. Claudio in a place like this where they have more freedom.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I thought the joker spot was like a second chance thing where they have a battle royal with the guys who already lost qualifiers? Or is that a different gimmick?

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The one thing missing from Young Rock seems to be good ‘ole JR. We know he signed him. Why its retconned into Pat Patterson is anybodys guess

Draft saved Draft deleted