1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can speak for IndyCar in that it was a sanctioning body buy, I edited its press release one year, ha. The chief marketing officer at the time had an infatuation with getting in USA Today and the Sports Business Journal and was happy to get the checkbook out for them.

maumann likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’m watching the IMSA race — it rains in Delaware, but it never rains in Southern California — and I still want to know who’s paying the freight for a two-car “unsponsored” Chip Ganassi team in DPi.

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I always wonder...who can REALLY drive and who is with great equipment? I imagine everyone at this level can really drive, but I tend to like to root for the guys who rise above their equipment (for lack of a better phrase).

So, with that said, is Ross Chastain one of those guys?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Justin Marks, he gave him $20 million (or whatever) last year.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Not the same thing. Chip certainly understands the Felix Sabates Principle of Motorsports Economics¹, and somebody is paying to not have their logos on the car.

¹-In order to build a small fortune in racing, start with a large fortune.

Machine Head and Driftwood like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Which seems weird... unless he's doing a Bill Davis and really doing R&D work for a new manufacturer. How much does it cost to run an IMSA team nowadays?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

Nah, he’s not Bill Davis and these cars go away after this season. I just want to know who’s paying the freight — France family, Cadillac, whomever.

maumann likes this.
  8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Of course they did.

Trackhouse Racing forced to change Earnhardt throwback for Darlington

Today, Teresa Earnhardt no longer holds the right to use the numbers previously used at Dale Earnhardt, Inc in competition. However, she maintains the trademarks to the design of the numbers themselves.
    ... the No. 1 car that will be used this weekend by Ross Chastain has been modified from it’s original look. A black slash has been added through the 1, after the car was released.
    That slash was added on Wednesday, the day after the reveal of the machines. It distinguishes the No. 1 from the number used for the DEI car.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Trackhouse said they added the slash through the 1 because they usually have the slash in numbers as part of the design. I do wish the Senior throwback could be a number a little closer to the original.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is this all Teresa does anymore? Flex the trademarks?

Driftwood likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

Yes.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted