1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's gonna be bad. I just don't think that it's so much Biden as factors that were preexisting or out of his control. He hasn't been in office long enough to cause this economy. Add that the R's vote anything he wants to do down.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What has Biden done to cause inflation?

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Of course

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Much of my monthly income is generated by email campaigns I send to willing participants on behalf of a national charity. We are very strategic about what and when we send, and to who we send it to...we also deploy numerous apps that help monitor our deliverability...anyway, all that has on occasion been blown up by someone -- let's say joesmith@hotmail.com -- opening his email, sorting by sender, seeing that TigerVolsCharity has sent him an email every two weeks for a year...then clicking spam on each one of those. That's called "getting spam bombed" and when he does that, the email service provider (in this case, Hotmail/Microsoft) will throttle my next campaign by not even allowing me to send into hotmail accounts (not just Joe's, but anyones!). I'll schedule them, but they won't make it into even the spam box. (So, I then have my ESP contact Hotmail and get our service restored).

My point is the general public doesn't have a full grasp on what a commercial email campaign involves. Meaning, I wouldn't be surprised that Dr. Oz is right, his emails ARE getting promotional foldered by Gmail but only because his recipients sent signals asking the providers to do just that (another mistake on his part is there are lot of studies which show people check and engage with their promotional and even junk folders all the time).

Moral of the story...if you're getting emails you don't want, don't mark them as spam...simply click the unsubscribe button at the bottom of the email. That's the "be kind, rewind" of the 21st Century!

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Too many things for even one of my posts to address.

But the biggies are that he reappointed Jay Powell to the Federal Reserve, thinking the same old script of a central bank doing more and more to monetize a rapidly growing national debt could keep on going this time. When the pandemic hit, he then urged Congress (and signed this stuff into law) to do the equivalent of borrowing trillions of dollars and helicopter dropping the money all over the place. The central bank monetized all of that debt with an insane amount of bond buying, as it hijacked the debt markets to keep real interest rates negative because the amount of debt that had already been monetized was already a credit crisis in the making due to its misallocation all over the economy. All of that new money created out of thin air in 2020 through now did nothing economically productive. It created an insane amount of demand as people felt flush. Supply couldn't keep up, something exacerbated by the pandemic. So you had the money supply on the back of the central bank being blown up and you had too few of those dollars chasing dwindling goods and services. And it's exactly what Biden called for, with the trillions of dollars of spending he went right for when he got into office. That was a formula for massive price inflation. ... in a nutshell.

Does that put it all on Joe Biden? Nope. He's just the poor shmuck who thought he could continue with the debt monetization so he could sign massive spending bills into law, and that someone else would get holding the bag. Just make the mess bigger and kick the can down the road. Unfortunately for him, though, he's getting caught holding the bag, because the central bank is trapped now. Fight the inflation genie that got out of the bottle, and it's a credit crisis more than a decade in the making and a brutal economic outcome. Try to do more of the same, and people who can't afford their grocery bills and to fill up their cars will be marching on the White House with pitchforks. But I'm sure Biden will placate them with "Putin's price hike" nonsense.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  6. Smallpotatoes

1) Inflation is happening all over the world. How are his policies causing it elsewhere?

3). Do you think Trump handled the economy better??

2muchcoffeeman and Woody Long like this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) Because everyone went to the same exact script. Whether it was the BOJ or ECB, they all did the "It's an emergency!" thing, the central banks went into eighth gear buying assets to keep prices artificially high and yields down. ... and the governments spent like drunken sailors. It wasn't just the U.S. And because of the scope of how much they expanded the various money supplies of those currencies. ... well, you are seeing it in generalized prices worldwide.

3) Trump was Trump. We ran up trillions of dollars of new debt with him as president, which he signed into law. And he not only watched the Fed monetize a lot of it, he browbeat them to do it, lobbying for artificially suppressed rates, as only Trump could. In some ways, Biden is paying for the lag in the Fed's stupidity that began while Trump was president. Their emergency bond buying programs, which blew up the money supply, began when Trump was president. But for his part, Biden came right in and pushed for stuffing trillions of dollars of that freshly created money (which they were frantically monetizing) into everyone's pockets, which created the supply / demand imbalance that took the monetary inflation that before that was mostly showing up in the housing market (due to their hijacking the mortgage-backed securities market) and in the valuations of risk assets (my 401(k)!) and made it so that prices of almost everything have taken off.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Rick Scott is a bloated inflamed hairy hemorrhoidal asshole. And a thief.

12. Smallpotatoes

If Scott had any self respect he’d be a liberal Democrat.

Draft saved Draft deleted