1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we allowed to talk about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2013.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Isn't crypto for 99% of investors a Ponzi scheme?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As much as silver has dropped over the last few weeks, it's holding up fairly well, actually. It has dropped a lot the last few weeks with some hard selling, but that is because the dollar relative to the commodity currencies is rising as rates rise. Nothing is immune in this environment. Silver actually bottomed way lower than where it is at right now early in the pandemic, like around March, 2020, and it's really still in the same trading range it has been in.

Silver is hard to read, it's a thin market, but I would be way more comfortable holding some silver as a store of value than many, many other things. Not as a trade, but as an alternative to owning dollars and seeing your dollars lose purchasing power. In general, I really want to own real assets with the shitstorm they created over the last 15 to 20 years + -- base metals, precious metals, energy commodities, agricultural commodities. It's the basic inflation play. In a credit bust environment, some of those things may lose value as people liquidate everything, but I would bet that they lose a lot less than the more speculative things people have been piling into, and depending on how much damage the dollar ultimately takes in the form of inflation staying a problem, many of those things could appreciate a lot relative to the dollar. You haven't done badly if you have been sitting on a basket of agricultural commodities for the last half year, for example.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've been doing just that, but my doctor's insisting I go on a diet.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don’t invest money I can’t afford to lose, so there’s no reason to be afraid. It’s small money. And, as I noted above, it appears headed lower in the short-term, so I am holding off until it reaches what I think is the bottom. I do believe it will go higher in the long term. If I’m wrong, so be it. It’s not going to bankrupt me, or even put a dent in my bank account. The stock market is a bigger concern for me.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nope. Bitcoin up over 1 percent today, according to Bloomberg.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Trust me, I was watching the bitcoin futures all day. ... Bitcoin got monkey-hammered into the close. On the day it was down around 14, 15 percent from where it closed on Friday. It had actually been holding support at around $36K for a week or so, and it gapped lower this morning and ended the day pushing $30K.

It felt like a lot of it was forced selling late in the day. A lot of money holding bitcoin has been levered up and with that leg lower I am sure there were a lot of margin calls, and subsequent forced selling, late in the day.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Crypto is just another highly speculative asset. If it ever got within any distance of posing a real alternative to government-printed money, the governments of the world would unite to squash it all like a bug. So it's growth potential is limited to periods of high speculation, such as 2017-2021.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Outing alert! Which one of you is El Presidente?

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LO FUCKING L

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They're trying. The Biden administration is pushing for a U.S. Digital Dollar that would, at the very least, be a rival to crypto.

Draft saved Draft deleted