1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we allowed to talk about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If I buy a barrel of oil or a silver coin, it doesn't pay a dividend. It doesn't mean that those things have no worth or that they are pyramid schemes (using his reasoning).

Not paying a dividend just means that in a rising rate environment, theoretically it is going to look less attactive relative to whatever risk-free rate of return you can get. But that's true of lots of things in a rising rate environment.

Bitcoin may or may not have worth. That remains to be seen. You can argue that it has no intrinsic value currently, because nobody has been buying bitcoin for any purpose other than speculation. Not for some other utility or for the sheer joy of owning a digital asset that sits on a blockchain, the way someone might buy a Van Gogh to hang on their wall and enjoy even if there was no prospect of being able to sell it for more money later on. But that could change.

I was on the idea of bitcoin very early, as a possible alternative to a world of fiat currencies that were being crapped all over. But as the price ran up on the back of the devaluing of those currencies, I saw all the hallmarks of a speculative bubble. It still needs to pop. Then, we will find out the true value (or worthlessness) of bitcoin. It is yet to be determined.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The word "reasoning" being used VERY loosely there.

4. The Big Ragu

Just to expand on that, FWIW.

Lots of stocks (that pay dividends, choose not to pay dividends, were buying back stock to return money to shareholders, etc) have been in speculative bubbles too. Many of which have bled 70, 80 percent of their market cap since they peaked. The aren't ponzi schemes either, at least necessarily.

This is what happens when you disort the lending markets to the degree they have been for the last decade and half. It destroys price discovery, which sends bad signals to people. Interest rates are just a price. They are the cost of money. When you price fix the market for something, there are consequences. Money was made way too cheap, and the mechanism that the idiots who have been doing it used, created whacked incentives that punished savers by robbing them of their risk-free rate of return, to reward debtors. They took it to such an extreme -- because the more debt they enabled, the bigger the interventions required to prop it up to keep defaults, or failures from happening -- that they went from forcing those savers farther along the risk curve to get what they were being robbed of, to going full-fledged stupid and blowing the riskiest assets up so much on the back of all the the mispriced debt they unleashed during the pandemic that it took on a life of its own. To the point that companies that don't earn anything were able to borrow billions of dollars, keep rolling over the debt, and finding themselves with valuations based on wishful thinking stories (not earnings). A lot of people got sucked in without understanding valuation and the macro factors that were causing the dramatic price increases of assets. It sucks.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I was just lampooning the "If people stop buying stocks ..." nonsense.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOLOLOL. "You've got questions. We've got answers."

Can't make this stuff up. Wait -- yes you can!

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You're in this timeshare presentation now, buddy. I hope that free clock radio is worth it.

dixiehack and doctorquant like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just bought 18,000 shares of Shiba Inu for 25 cents. To the moon!

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My parents drug us to one of those in the mid 80s and even told me I could have the prize, a miniature b/w TV. After 3-4 hours, they dutifully awarded us our prize. Turns out you had to send off a check to order the customized power cord to operate it however, and we never did.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Hermes likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is this the point in the bitcoin market like the late 90s when investors realized you can't assume a company is going to blow up just because it has .com at the end of it and bought a Super Bowl ad?
    The odd thing is, I imagine there will be a couple of "survivors" of the downturn and now would probably be a good time to buy in as the market matures and the fly by nighters head to the exits.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I do it when we go to Charleston. The coupons are actually worth $50-$100 and being the south, nothing opens until 10a.m., so we’ll sit through one first thing in the morning. My wife just laughs at the presentation, knowing what the contracts look like. Her parents are….uh…not great financial stewards and she had to extricate them from a timeshare contract last year.

They always ask, “Were we even close.”

“Nope.”

The person always laughs and hands us the coupons for free appetizers and tickets to the various tourist traps. It’s amazing how they even know they only have to find one fool a day and laugh off all of us who use it for some free crab dip.

12. The Big Ragu

Congrats. But you didn't buy shares. It's not a stock.

Draft saved Draft deleted