1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The social issue is that women who breastfeed and work need to stop and pump in the middle of the day. Often this means doing it in a workplace bathroom, either sharing it with passers through or taking up the facilities for 45 minutes. Then they come out and their supervisor or coworkers begrudge the time. If you want more women to feel comfortable with breast feeding, we need to make it socially normal and supported. That and quit staring at their exposed boob or reproaching them for feeding a hungry baby in public.

Tighthead, Dyno, Mngwa and 2 others like this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe Vogue couldn't come up with another bi-sexual model to pose with her.

lakefront likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Phonies. All of 'em. That includes their king.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

All of the above.

In a perfect world, parents wouldn’t need formula at all, because they would be able to follow the common advice to breastfeed exclusively for six months and in tandem with other appropriate foods for at least a year. But breastfeeding cannot—and never has—fully addressed the nutritional needs of every baby. Some newborns latch poorly or have allergies; some mothers find nursing physically or psychologically difficult; some babies are adopted. But one of the biggest obstacles that new American parents encounter when trying to follow breastfeeding advice is man-made: In 2021, less than a quarter of U.S. workers had any access to paid family leave through their employer, and relatively few employers offer other kinds of support for lactating mothers. “The shock of having to go back to work six weeks after delivering a new baby is terribly disruptive to breastfeeding access,” Steven Abrams, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Texas’s Dell Medical School, told me. The results of these policies show up in predictable ways in statistics about infant nutrition: The babies of richer families are more likely to be breastfed exclusively, and they are breastfed for longer on average.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There's one way in which this issue is probably better than it was before the Trumpandemic: the increased prevalence of working at home.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Amen. I was allergic to milk as a baby, I'm told, and my parents struggled to find the right mix. Of course, this was in the early 60s when formula was cool.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  9. HanSenSE

Now, about those golf trips ...
    FSuThdZX0AEFzgV.jpg

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

My kid was a peanut and lost weight before we left the hospital. I was breastfeeding, but because of her size and the weight loss we had to supplement from the beginning. We were incredibly lucky in that she would take both the nipple and the bottle. She was not fussy. Some babies won't take the nipple. Some will not take the rubber nipple of the bottle. The truth is you never know what it's going to be. I almost quit breastfeeding because it hurt so much the first three to four weeks, and I was on the brink, suddenly it didn't hurt anymore. I only made it 7 months because I was old and my milk went away. And she was still taking bottles. So even if you do breastfeed, doesn't mean you don't need formula. And then you throw in the the shaming that we do when women breastfeed in public and the other aspects that play in and it's just a damn mess.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

wicked and TigerVols like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted