1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

02FBB241-579C-48B4-9461-24B29D8387AF.jpeg

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Happy Fastball Hitters Day!

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

This really was a well-done article.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There’s definitely an echo in here.

6. dixiehack

I hadn’t seen any posts since Easter in this thread. Sorry if I repeated someone I have blocked.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Different thread, and I think the second d_b today.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't much truck with organized religion, but I agree with this:

lakefront and maumann like this.
  10. dixiehack

maumann likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...wish-outperform-christian-girls-academically/

A new study suggests the examples of these Jewish women — Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, Treasury Secretary Janet L. Yellen and many others like them — have made a deep impression.
The study, published in the latest edition of the American Sociological Review, finds that girls with a Jewish upbringing are 23 percent more likely to graduate college, and to graduate from much more selective colleges, than girls with a Christian upbringing. (The study included comparisons with Protestants, mostly evangelicals.)
These girls, the study found, have ambitious career goals and prioritize their professional success over marriage and motherhood. The girls in the study were all reared in liberal Jewish movements that make up the vast majority of American Jewish life; none was Orthodox.
“Whereas Jewish upbringing promoted self-concepts centered on meaningful careers and public impact, non-Jewish upbringing promoted self-concepts centered on marriage and motherhood,” wrote the study’s four authors, led by Tulane University sociologist Ilana Horwitz.

PaperDoll likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting comparison with Evangelicals. Not exactly the kind of crowd that embraces education.

Draft saved Draft deleted