1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Checking in a month later from Minnesota, where the state GOP had its nominating convention this weekend, and because it's apparently 1925 or something, said convention decision is all but binding on all the candidates. Racing against the clock to conclude their business by 6 p.m. (because they didn't book the venue for Sunday), the Republicans chose Option 2 on the ninth ballot, the nutbar one-term state Senator and anti-vax doctor. Since this original post, Dr. Jensen has suggested that the current Secretary of State should be thrown in jail for his administration of the 2020 election and, on the day of a mass shooting, apologized to the delegates for supporting gun background check bills in the past. He also said he'd commute the sentence of Kim Potter, the cop who shot Daunte Wright after pulling the wrong weapon, which was (two years) already about a third of the recommended term (6+ for manslaughter) and something the governor can't legally do.

He outlasted the Black Republican Outsider, which might have led to Michelle Tafoya bitching on Twitter about over-coverage of Shohei Ohtani. Third place was a mayor of a third- or fourth-ring suburb and was briefly a contender. The former Senate majority leader went nowhere, which is kind of funny given that he's almost certainly the most qualified in terms of experience. The sheriff's campaign was largely screwed up by his getting into a serious car wreck three weeks ago and being briefly hospitalized.

Other nominees from the convention include an attorney general who's a hedge fund lawyer and a secretary of state candidate who's an election conspiracist who had to retract and then unretract racist comments she made about African immigrants that formed the headline of a New York Times feature on the subject.

Due to COVID and the wrath of angry white rural Minnesotans, Walz probably isn't totally in the clear, but let's just say I think the state GOP demonstrated why they haven't won a statewide office of any kind since 2006.

2muchcoffeeman and Machine Head like this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If Norm Coleman and Michele Bachmann could generate total DFL revulsion in 2006, I see no reason why this latest lot couldn't.

2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The state nut of Arkansas is officially the pecan.

The second state nut is the Huckstress.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A Fracture in Idaho’s G.O.P. as the Far Right Seeks Control

The article talks about how there is a divide between the traditional Idaho conservatives and a newer more militant, group of Republicans.

Which reminds me of a really good book I had to read in college about political parties. The author said the political views of the elected officials of a party are a trail those of the party members because of the power of incumbency. Susan Collins, for example, continues to win primaries in Maine because she has ben around a long time, can raise a lot of money and is familiar to Maine Republicans. But her successor as the Republican nominee will not be so moderate.

So eventually the wackos are going to win.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd love to interview some people trashing the surging GOP candidate in Pennsylvania to find out what statements she made they object to, and how her rhetoric differs from some of the other mouthbreathers in the GOP, many of whom are Trump endorsed.

garrow likes this.
  6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

MN isn't as solid Blue as it once was. Outstate union voters are not there in the numbers they once were.

I think Walz will win, but the loons have made solid strides, unfortunately.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

You need to tell the class that former NFL star Matt Birk is on the ticket as lt gov.

Let's bring god back, no Roe, no vaccines, etc. on three!

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

In a previous life, in 2006, when I was a small town cops reporter I got along well with the county sheriff, who was also chair of the county’s Republican Party. At the time, Lynn Swann was running for Governor. He said he was hearing “I’m not voting for that n****r,” way more than he had expected. So, there ya go.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Did he temporarily forget what state he was in?

For my money, Pennsylvania is the most racist state in the country.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We do it better because we hide it better.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

there was no more need to give leroy the ball

Draft saved Draft deleted