1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There are 400 million guns in America ... /starman

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This one, I am not sure I get.

There is no paperwork to file. He can't put the deal on hold, he already agreed to it. It's binding. If he tries to back out, his ass is getting sued for $X billion. Even the $1 billion breakup fee only applies to a handful of conditions, none of which is him being able to just walk away.

On top of it, all that tweet did was reintroduce uncertainty, which brought Twitter's stock price even farther below his offer price, and he doesn't benefit from that because he already made a binding offer. If anything, he owns 9.2 percent of the company already and that tweet made his stake worth even less for the time being.

The guy is a charlatan and has tweeted or said all kinds of things over the years to try to manipulate Tesla's stock price in ways that gave him short-term benefit. I posted about some of those incidences on here. In this case, I just think he wants to renegotiate a deal he already locked himself into, and because he lacks leverage, he thought doing it publicly he could somehow pressure the Twitter board to consider it with some BS about fake accounts, like it just occurred to him. There is no paperwork for that. There's, "You are going to get sued." I would bet that is why he followed it up with the "Still committed to acquisition," tweet. A team of lawyers from Skadden Arps probably had a collective coronary.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think that the point is that Musk has repeatedly posted Tweets that moved stock he was interested in to his profit, and that most people would have been called on the carpet for it. I believe that he has caught flak from the SEC for this once only?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It’s still comical that Tyrese cost Dre $200M with a drunken tweet, stopping (temporarily, anyway) Dre from becoming a billionaire.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Is Musk looking for a way to back out?

“Our view is that the Street is assigning the chance of Musk walking as more than 50% which speaks to the pressure on Twitter shares … $54.20 is out the window with this circus show,” Dan Ives, analyst with Wedbush Securities, wrote in a note.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/05/16/musk-twitter-deal/

6. The Big Ragu

Of course not! He decided to buy Twitter because it has too many bots, and now he's not buying Twitter because it has too many bots.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Like any other creature that has gained sentience, he simply wants more friends like him.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Where's Kip Drody when you need him?

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

How is what he's doing not stock market manipulation? Can someone with a law degree explain it to me? I can understand big words.

10. The Big Ragu

Most people trying to manipulate a stock try to pump it, not tank it, especially when they own 9.2 percent of the company.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Especially when they don't want to pay (can't afford?) the price they agreed to and think (perhaps erroneously) that a sudden drop in company value would allow them to renegotiate/back out of the deal?

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Elon Musk’s attempted purchase reminds me more and more of this travelogue every day, particularly at 1:47 pm.

A chronology of events for Saturday, December 4, 1999....

Last edited: May 17, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted