1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credential beef for PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

Ratings and money, I believe. Not necessarily in that order.

SixToe likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

One begets the other — either in measured metrics after the fact or the expectation thereof beforehand. So yes, it doesn't have to be in order.

3. busch

busch Member

Checking in to see if the young lady got her credentials.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I don't *think* she did, but it is hard to tell, given she doesn't appear to have a media outlet that she works for. So there's nowhere to see where her work would live.

Looks like she's inviting people to join her on Twitch and drink while watching the round on TV with her. A true influencer.

busch likes this.
  5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Weeks after the start of this thread I finally got around to looking up the PGA Tour's credential regulations.

Here are two points:

"PGA TOUR issues credentials under these Media Regulations solely to approved individuals (“Credential Holders”) representing an approved media outlet (“Media Outlet”)."

Earlier -- "“Tournaments” means all sanctioned tournaments on the PGA TOUR, PGA TOUR Champions, Korn Ferry Tour, PGA TOUR Latinoamérica, Mackenzie Tour – PGA TOUR Canada and PGA TOUR China."

Questions -- What media outlet does Amanda Rose represent? Is the PGA Championship a sanctioned tournament on the PGA Tour? (I think it is but the editor in me wants to get confirmation.)

We don't know what she filled in for outlet on the form but that should go a ways in deciding whether she should be credentialed.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Gotta be PGA of America and not the PGA Tour, right?

Nonetheless, the outlet she said she's with has to be the biggest part of the credential application. If it is "Influencer at Twitch", then it's a no-brainer, no matter how much she wants to paint it as gender discrimination.

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I went to the PGA Tour credentials site to see if I could find out if one could apply through that site, but it is no longer possible to know.

It could have been through that site for convenience reasons.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, PGA of America and not PGA Tour. Totally their sandbox when it comes to credentials.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah “ass shaker” isn’t an official media occupation, though it probably should be given some of the shit I see on TV.

maumann, HanSenSE, Woody Long and 2 others like this.
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Twitch will be the next platform with a pro sports deal.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Because golf is such a well-heeled sport, this may not be the best example for the tangential point I'm gonna make, but what the hell. :D I listen pretty regularly to Volume, the music talk station on XM, and there's been plenty of talk about how this could be a rough summer for touring b/c of inflation & gas prices. And I see shit like this--people paying $200+ to see a single round of golf and $28 for a beer and a hot dog--and I think that we were already the most spoiled country on the planet, filled with people who have absolutely no idea what sacrifice or belt-tightening means, loooong before the pandemic forced everyone inside for a summer. Now, all the spoiled brats who think their freedoms were taken away in 2020 are busting to get out, and doing so WHILE complaining about inflation and gas prices. Even just looking at the roads and the worse-than-ever traffic in my area is an example of how there's more people than ever out and about despite all the issues. And have you heard of anyone not taking a vacation this summer b/c of gas prices? Again, maybe this is spitballing in the wrong direction, but it just strikes me as symbolic of a dumbass nation at large.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Twitch is Amazon, so it already has at least one.

Draft saved Draft deleted