1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Save yourself some time. Just show this video:

garrow and dixiehack like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm missing something in the equation - but could price cuts to battle inflation help us stave off a recession? If the economy is all about supply and demand - and if prices outstrip people's ability to pay those prices, forcing a cut in business/growth - leading to a retraction of the economy (recession) does it make business sense for a company or industry to do what it can to avoid a recession, or are they viewed like some forest fires are - as part of the way an economy or particular industy functions/regulates itself?

3. DanOregon

Headline on CNN right now. Seriously.

The stock market is practically begging to be punished

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Don’t want to start a thread on it, so I’ll mention it here.

Bought four tickets to see Paul McCartney last night. My mom is a massive Beatles fan, so this is up here alley. Tickets were $100 each, fine. Fees for the four tickets were upward of $100, so an extra $25 each.

I know this is the norm, but that’s insane. Just put the real price on the ticket, please, like they now have to do with airline tickets. If I’d paid $125 a pop I’d be none the wiser about Live Nation’s ridiculous cut.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m shocked you can get McCartney tickets at $100 a pop, honestly. Even mid-tier bands are getting $100 a ticket right now.

FileNotFound and dixiehack like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have a collection of ticket stubs from every concert I've attended (not counting the damned ticketless ones for the past few years, obviously). It's pretty amazing to look at the inflation in ticket prices over the past 30-40 years. I paid $10.50 for lawn seats to a Buffett show in the early 90s. Now those go for $77 and I'm regularly paying $150-200 per seat for big acts to get closer to the stage.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It’s a stadium show and the seats aren’t the greatest, so that’s why they’re cheap.

I’m not concerned about the ticket cost, but $25 in fees per ticket, including “delivery fees” when some computer is just spitting out numbers, is absurd.

Hermes and Patchen like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The first real concert I ever went to (as in not in a high school gym) was Deep Purple and Fleetwood Mac in 1972. Tickets were $4.50, $5.50, and $6.50.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Between Danny Kirwan (assuming he was still in the Mac) and Ritchie Blackmore, that's a lot of guitar talent for $4.50!

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

$6.50. I was on the floor, maybe fifteen rows back. It was a great show. DP was touring behind the Machine Head album, so that's "Lazy", "Space Truckin", "Smoke on the Water", "Highway Star", etc.

I remember getting pissed about the Mac playing Santana's "Black Magic Woman", because I was 15 and didn't realize that Santana had covered their song. "Oh Well" was amazing.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. DanOregon

I almost wonder if the bands set the price and then let the promoters do what they do with fees so they don't get screwed out of the gate. The band knows exactly how many tickets are sold and what they are due, instead of having the promoter say, "well, we had to deduct for marketing, distribution etc."

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One piece of crazy trivia. The Dow Jones Industrial Average has had 8 losing weeks in a row now. It's the first time that has happened since 1923.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted