1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Planning on going to the county board of elections this morning and getting my Republican primary ballot. I think Trump has endorsed seven candidates, so it'll be easy to personally stick it to the Orange Cheeto. Even if my vote only cancels out one Trumpist, it's one small blow in favor of democracy.

Plus, Kemp is absolutely destroying Perdue by something like 60-38 in the latest polling. After his signs went up early on, I haven't seen any Perdue stuff on display locally, nor has he spent a dime on mailers. If he couldn't beat Jon Ossoff as the incumbent, what makes anyone think he can take down Kemp?

Herschel Walker should easily win the primary, but it's going to be a much bigger struggle against Warnock. Walker's polling advantage is steadily eroding, and Black voters are polling 91-9 in favor of Warnock. Walker's going to have to actually campaign off something other than his football exploits, and he's got some serious baggage, including domestic violence charges and financial fraud. (A chip off the old Trump block!)

In case you're wondering, early voting in Georgia is up 238 percent from the 2018 midterms, so people are definitely fired up. The bigger the turnout in November, particularly in the Atlanta metro, the better the chances are for a moderate to overcome the rural red vote.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And as a kid I remember that guy having a new scandal -- Ed Meese, Iran Contra, Nancy being the original Melania -- every year, which is why I'm blown away they've been able to whitewash the guy's legacy so well.

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Good for him. He looks happy and healthy.

Gutter and Brooklyn Bridge like this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Walker also faces one other important disadvantage, at least when it comes to getting anybody who isn't a mindless Republican to vote for him. Walker is an idiot. Warnock is not.

Webster and maumann like this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I’d be shocked if there’s a debate.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

This might have something to do with it

9807BDBF-03E0-45E3-AEB6-801EAC8A9F2A.jpeg

garrow likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The thumbs up sign is the modern day heil Hitler what the fuck is Biden doing displaying it?
    UGH!
    TFG

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My parents are early boomers (1946, 1947). Five kids, 1969 to 1977. My youngest sister considers herself Gen X. I'm definitely Gen X. No memory of Vietnam, but definitely the bicentennial and obviously growing up in the Reagan years.

maumann likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but think Warnock facing Walker is a good thing. You can attack him for everything he's done, and no one can cry race. His football exploits were a generation ago. Some of the ad copy writes itself:
    "Herschel Walker turned his back on Georgia for Donald Trump once before and failed. Don't let him do it again."

maumann likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Quite the thread here, running down recent events as the various investigations and cases develop.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

There are good odds that a white independent will jump in at some point….for reasons.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

"Baby Boomer" is one hell of a broad range when taken in context. When I got out of college in 1980, the job market was already crammed full of Silents and Boomers, I paid 18 percent interest on my car (thanks to my dad co-signing the loan) and gas prices had doubled in 12 months.

I definitely could debate the idea that there's a definite first wave (1946-1955) and second wave (1956-64), because even by the second half of the 1950s, birth rates were falling sharply. Gwen and I were both born in 1958. But I was a first-born, whereas Gwen's sister and brother were "leading-edge" Boomers, so they don't have shared experiences growing up. And my brothers, born in 1962 and 1965, are not Boomers, but not really X. As someone mentioned, there's a definite "tweener" Generation vibe.

I was in kindergarten when the first "leading-edge" Boomers were graduating from high school. I don't remember Howdy Dowdy or the Mouseketeers and was 5 when Kennedy was assassinated. I didn't have a car until the second Oil Crisis and didn't have the right to vote until Ford-Carter. But I was allowed to stay up late to watch Neil Armstrong, something my brothers don't remember.

I was definitely aware of MLK and the Viet Nam War (particularly when it came to watching the birthdates drawn for the draft every year, which thankfully ended when I was 14), and Kent State and Watergate, but I was still in elementary or middle school.

So if you graduated in 1970, you have a very different memory of the Bee Gees compared to someone who graduated in 1980. And if somebody streaked your high school graduation, you're a Boomer.

Just for fun, Ron Howard:

Richie Cunningham, Happy Days, set in 1955-58: Not a Boomer (born sometime between 1937-40)
    Steve Bolander, American Graffiti, set in 1962: Not a Boomer (born either in 1944-45)
    Opie Taylor, Andy Griffith Show, set in 1960-68: Boomer
    Sam Freeman, Grand Theft Auto: Boomer

Biden? Not a Boomer. Pelosi, Warren, Sanders. Nope, nope, nope. But Trump? DAMN BOOMER!

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted