1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

On the surface, my post makes it appear I don’t know what I’m talking about. Upon closer investigation, however…

[throws smoke bomb and runs out of the room]

Regan MacNeil and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Tesla down another $60 today so far.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He really enjoys shit talking and being noticed on social media. The strange thing is the legion of fanbois who are devoted to his every tweet.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Everything down today. NASDAQ broke support and the S&P 500 crossed the 20 percent down thresshold from its peak, which some people say is officially a bear market.

Maybe the news about Musk's sexual harrasment settlement helped things along in that stock, but it was holding up relatively well compared to a lot of things. It's now 48 percent off its peak, and by any normal market valuation, if so much free money hadn't been pumped into markets, it's still overvalued by a factor of 20 times. It will get down there, unless the Fed pivots. They have each of the times they tried to stop the bond purchases and raise the overnight rate since the financial crisis. The difference this time is the inflation. ... It is forcing their hand.

They have no good choices, and don't even understand what they are trying to manage, so it's difficult to predict how it plays out. From past behavior, my guess is they will tighten and try to let bonds roll of their balance sheet (it starts in a few weeks) until the credit markets break. Bond spreads are already blowing out and high-yield is dropping along with stocks. When they break the credit markets, my guess is they will reverse and end up choosing runaway inflation over the economic mess. We'll see what any of that means for people like Elon Musk who have been the recipients of huge gifts (whether they realized it or not) since the financial crisis and passed it off as genius.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think the past 6 to 8 years of U.S. political discourse kind of numbs the "strangeness" to me. Also, if you're on Reddit at all, there are a ton of devoted, vaguely libertarian tech and crypto guys like him spouting the same stuff.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The fanbois trashed the EV cars generally and TESLA specifically.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A lot of those libertarian types are also followers of the “men’s rights” movement, a step removed from the incels.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

The thing is that Musk has gone off the deep end with his all his crazy tweets. He's actively antagonizing the Tesla customer base, and he's acting as crazy as Kanye. If the Board thinks that he is actively causing the stock major damage, they could conceivably sack or suspend him as CEO of Tesla. I mean, no one thought that Apple would fire Steve Jobs either.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, the board of directors is controlled by Musk -- it's him, his brother, and several friends like Larry Ellison, Antonio Gracias, Rupert Murdoch's kid. When you combine the large stake Musk owns in the company with institutional shares (people like Ron Baron) that are crawled up Musk's butt, that board is as good as him doing whatever he wants.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Um, come again?

Draft saved Draft deleted