1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course.

But things get rebranded or renamed all the time. BankAmericard. Mastercharge.

Dodge Trucks made perfect sense until it didn't.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Grantland may have been a vanity project, but to the extent it was Simmons' vanity, I have no idea. This Month in the New York Times Wedding Section does not strike me as Simmons' wheelhouse.

I think he got ahold of a lot of money then the cool literary kids (Eggers, etc) caught on and Simmons didn't say no much. Then when he left/was fired, he was replaced by someone far (far) more accomplished in terms of culture journalism, and the staff writers wanted no part of that guy's leadership. Then some of them went to MTV and tried the same thing, and MTV killed it in about a year.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Things that don't work get re-branded.

"30 for 30" is a recognized brand on that network. Even people who loathe the network now for being too "woke" will say, "only thing good on there anymore are the 30 for 30's anyways."

Liut likes this.
  4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This reminds me to a certain extent of a book I read about a year ago on the history of the Wall Street Journal i.e. Peter Kann, his wife Karen House and Norman Pearlstine.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The ECHL does, as well.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Seen this way too many times. People are great reporters — or copy editors — but they have no management or budgeting experience, so things sink quickly once they become the boss.

PaperDoll likes this.
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Word salad.

8. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

I was an example of the Peter Principle early in my career. Adequate as a manager, but not as good as I should have been. I learned and improved at another place, in large part by observing others as leaders, when given management duties and have tried to maintain that progress when in similar situations now. I wasn't as good of a mentor as I should have been, and I regret that for the reporters I didn't help.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience. I was/am very unstructured. If initially supervised a group of nine. I think that I could overcome that with a small group because I could develop a relationship with each employee. But then I got bumped up to supervising forty-five employees and had to try to manager through layers and that was a lot harder for me because I only basically knew the names of most of my first employees. I needed to apply more structure to that office and I struggled. In the organizations where I worked I saw that many times. The superstar of the small group fell on his ass when he was given a large unit.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The problem with The National wasn't quality, it was distribution - the editorial product was great.

Draft saved Draft deleted