1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The future?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This is exactly how Scott Evil’s life would’ve turned out in a fictional Austin Powers universe, too.

3. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

This isn’t an Ozark spoiler at all, but I gotta say:

The series is based on a faulty premise: that Marty’s crazy in love w/ his wife.

She made life-threatening decisions behind his back constantly &, most importantly, he & Wendy displayed ZERO chemistry for all but 2 episodes…

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The Goldbergs season finale would have made a near perfect series finale.

Can someone please check on Judd Hirsch though? He looked pretty rough.

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Survivor season ended strong - with a hell of a play. Or shall I say, holding off on a play involving an idol. Nice to see the show end with strong play and strategy over sentiment and bitterness.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Watched the series finale of This is Us with my wife. It was...quiet. It was the same mix of sappy, sad, and funny that they managed in the better episodes of the show, but really nothing special at all. Maybe that was the point.

jr/shotglass, Wenders and PaperDoll like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I don’t think he’s crazy in love with her. In the first season, he literally says he’s with her for necessity rather than desire.

He sees her as 1) something that is going to keep him alive and 2) a means to an end that at some point he can’t get rid of.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to believe that that was the point. I did really love the train episode. This season was handled really nicely.
    But I was still left feeling after the credits rolled on the finale, "wait...that was it?"

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Those were my wife's exact words.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Hacks Season 2 has been great.

garrow likes this.
  12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That was my exact reaction, too. And in my book, that was bad.

This is Us always did extol "the quiet moments." If I recall, a show executive (or maybe the executive producer) even specifically brought them up in the aftermath of the episode about Jack's sudden, seemingly inexplicable death, and viewers' somewhat negative reaction to it -- how he didn't die in the fire, but of an unseen, un-viewed heart attack after it, without his family so much as even being in the hospital room with him (because he'd been up and around, and it actually seemed he was going to OK, etc.).

In the case of the series finale, though, I'm with outofplace. It was quiet (again) -- way too quiet. It made it so it was not just quiet or reflective. It was weak -- as if it was just peetering out. For such an acclaimed, beloved show, it wasn't much of a sendoff at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted