1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s not as bad private business. But look at the salary disparity between line subject matter teachers and central Authority school
    Administrators without teaching responsibility. No reason for an administrator to make 2-3 times what an average teacher makes, unless you’re a principal or vice-principal. The academic coordinator for middle school science shouldn’t make $126,000 when the actual science teacher teaching 150 kids a year in 5 classes plus their required outside classroom duties and those teachers make $60k after 10 years. There are administrators without teaching responsibilities making $180k+ where starting salaries for MS and HS math teachers are less than $50. The school administrators all have post graduate degrees paid for in part or in whole by the BOE. Teachers are eligible but they don’t have the cushy central office jobs to afford the time to invest to teaching AND being a student. And those administrators are the ones that determine teacher salaries, conflict of interest. The more teachers make the less those administrators make. Redundant employees, political appointees, and jobs that are political rather than educational. Small schools systems can’t do this. Only the large ones.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Since we’re talking about education…

Boston’s about to get its sixth superintendent in who knows how many years. Every mayor chases out the guy/gal who’s there. The new mayor is booting out the current super as of July 1. The lack of stability is insane. Only one superintendent has stuck around for any length of time since school desegregation.

I do wish more money were targeted to school support personnel, namely mental health professionals. A lot of these kids, even in less “urban” districts like where my girlfriend teaches, grow up in chaotic situations and need calming, positive influences. It’ll never happen, but every kid should get some sort of therapy every other week at least. I’m not saying your school doesn’t need a head of security to keep the environment safe, but kids need a lot of services and they’re not getting them.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The real fake news:

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Look, just because Urban administrators are paid more than suburban counterparts does not mean they are overpaid. They have a multitude of issues that "small, suburban" districts do not.

I agree that parental involvement, less behavioral issues, more motivated students draw teachers to lower paid positions. Its about balance of life, what would you do?

Most heart-breaking teaching story I have; friends' kid graduates from prestigious college and goes to Teach America program. He gets assigned middle school in Cleveland, OH.

40+ students, 20, TWENTY!!, desks. How are you supposed to teach anyone in that environment? Ridiculous.

heyabbott and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Behind this empire of pink slime is Brian Timpone, a conservative businessman and former journalist with a record of plagiarism and fabrication.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Let’s not forget this sad chapter in American history. Or, is that CRT?

7. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I think we should take into account teacher salary as to where they teach. My daughter taught in Maryland, in the city corridor, and had a "mentor" who came often to check in and offer advice in her first years. She thought it wonderful, and really helpful, but that district hadn't received a step raise in the 5 years she taught there. Moved over the state line and an automatic $10,000 raise, but no support. Maryland had also paid a large part of her Masters classes. After finishing her masters, another $3000.00 or so. Her salary will never match corporate, but it's not sneeze territory. What it is, is hard, really hard, thankless, and without much upward mobility. And now probably dangerous.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ungrateful blah people. Throw a barbecue for them and they get all huffy.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I guess I'm being ignorant, or missing something, but why is this? What does it accomplish? Who would want a lack of stability, whatever race/ethnicity a superintendent may be (if that is the motive?)?

And this is all aside from the fact that I wouldn't think such a thing would happen in Boston, anyway...

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It’s not exactly planned obsolescence, but these are damn tough situations, where you are being asked to turn around systems that have been spiraling for 50-70 years after white flight. For every board member that pushed to bring you in, there are nearly as many who had their own crony in mind and hold a grudge. So if one of your patrons flips or leaves the board, you are toast. Occasionally one will navigate the politics and start to make some actual progress, in which case another big city system will quickly open up the checkbook and steal them away, hoping to replicate that miracle.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The thing that kicked off the riots in Minneapolis was when the Auto Zone store was vandalized and burned.

Remember Umbrella Man, the guy with the hammer?

A person was identified in 2020 but never charged. Nothing came of it. Why? I can't find anything more online.

A local monthly wrote about it:

What about Umbrella Man? – Southside Pride

Draft saved Draft deleted