1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Maybe Josh Donaldson should read it.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

HE STILL AIN'T TOUCHED THE PLATE!

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Athletic article said it’s was a $10,000 buy-in with a $10,000 penalty to the team that finished last.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Here's the boxscore:

upload_2022-6-2_7-54-10.png

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pirates are the first to sweep at Dodger Stadium in 4 years.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep, looks like the author fucked up.

Damn, Jackie went 4-for-5 in that game.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They are still five games under .500 and tied for the worst run differential in the majors.

Maybe they have found something. Maybe these young players who have helped them recently really are good. If that's the case, perhaps they should have been up all along. Nah. That might have cost the team more money at some point.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There's a plaque commemorating Robinson's Jersey City debut, at the apartment complex in Caven Point where Roosevelt Stadium was. The Dodgers played 23 home games there in '56 and '57. Also, Rickey Henderson played there in '78, the only season in pro ball when he didn't homer. Also, also, The Dead and Pink Floyd played Roosevelt Stadium. And THEY didn't homer.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Few more things that are interesting about Rickey ...

Henderson was born on December 25, 1958, in Chicago, Illinois, in the back seat of an Oldsmobile on the way to the hospital. Henderson later joked, "I was already fast. I couldn't wait."[7] He was named Rickey Nelson Henley, after singer-actor Ricky Nelson,[8] and is the son of John L. Henley and Bobbie Henley.[8] When he was two years old, his father left home, and his family moved to Oakland, California, when he was seven. His father died in an automobile accident 10 years after leaving home.[9] His mother married Paul Henderson in Rickey Henley's junior year of high school and the family adopted the Henderson surname.[8] As a child learning to play baseball in Oakland, Henderson developed the ability to bat right-handed although he was a naturally left-handed thrower—a rare combination for baseball players, especially non-pitchers.[10] In the entire history of Major League Baseball through the 2008 season, only 57 position players are known to have batted right and thrown left, and Henderson is easily the most successful player to do so.[11] Henderson later said, "All my friends were right-handed and swung from the right side, so I thought that's the way it was supposed to be done."[12]

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

My favorite Rickey story, doesn’t matter if it’s true
    During his record stolen base year a friend told him he had to start using an alias on the road so people wouldn’t bother him
    Next trip he checked in as Richard Pryor

sgreenwell and Baron Scicluna like this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the box score. Bobby Thomson playing CF for Jersey City.

In the entire history of Major League Baseball through the 2008 season, only 57 position players are known to have batted right and thrown left, and Henderson is easily the most successful player to do so.

So, never mind that I had no power. As a TR, BL guy, I never really had a chance.

Huggy likes this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

One of the books written by Chris Mortensen (who I've known and worked with since the '70s) on John Madden had two factual errors on Page 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted