1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 1, 2022.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

“Pay me my money,” doesn’t seem like a strong face stand. People cheer heels these days. A lot. He’d likely be a tweezer at best.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Yeah hes not gonna be a white meat baby kisser, he’d be a tweaked version of face Rock, says and does whatever he wants and can do no wrong in the eyes of the crowd.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

FWIW, MJF merch was pulled from AEW’s store today.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This'll make a great episode for the Dark Side of the Ring reboot in 2034.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Great opener on Rampage with the Bucks and the Luchas, but wish it didn't have to essentially end on the mask yank.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. nietsroob17

Still trying to figure out if Punk is relinquishing the strap or not. Seemed like conflicting statements.

7. nietsroob17

So it'll be Moxley vs. a battle royal winner in the main event at Dynamite, then that winner faces someone at Forbidden Door for the interim AEW championship.

8. JimmyHoward33

I get that theyre trying to do a ufc type thing with the interim titles but I think the last thing aew needs is more belts.

its insane. I think Shoemaker pointed out that two ppv segments features 6 belts and only one of em was an acrual aew champion. They gotta dial it back

9. nietsroob17

Meh -- the extra belts are just props, but still the same number of active champs. I don't mind it because it gives AEW an active world champ while Punk is recovering (did the same with the TNT title when Sammy was interim while Cody had COVID).

This actually resembles when Punk won the WWE belt from Cena at Money in the Bank and left the arena with this contract stalemate storyline. Cena beat Rey to become the new WWE champ, and then out comes Punk to "Cult of Personality" for the first time with his belt.

A piece of fantasy booking: one of the masked wrestlers wins the battle royal Wednesday (maybe one of the down-card ones like Fuego del Sol), then beats Moxley in the main event for the title shot. Same masked wrestler goes on to Forbidden Door to beat whoever for the interim AEW title and takes his mask off to reveal MJF.

Then you have MJF vs. Punk (the "big boss" of ex-WWE guys Max brought up) in the unification fight.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So the battle royale winner faces Mox. The winner of that goes to Forbidden Door to face X for the title?

Could they hang it on NJPW guy?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I hate the concept of an interim champion. It's confusing as hell in the various MMA leagues, when you have a guy win the title and there are two interim championship matches before he ever defends it. Makes no sense.
    Just take the belt off of Punk, with the caveat that he's automatically the No. 1 contender whenever he comes back, and go with the plan they cooked up. From the sound of it, it could be a while before Punk returns. Are they really going to do the interim champion thing for six or eight months if he's out that long?

Baron Scicluna and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

I agree. It was weird when they did it with the tnt title. Personally, I dont like all the extra props….they got ROH gold around, AAA tag belts, people wearing UFC belts…if every segment has a belt they dont matter

Why is it Mox instead of Hangman? Or Danielsen? I’d love to see the title on Bryan

Draft saved Draft deleted