1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I would say we are very, very close. The F-150 Lightning is potentially a game-changer: It’s reasonably priced, and still looks like an F-150, which is very important to the average American. I think Tesla has largely maxed out its cult appeal, and with familiar brands (and their service networks) entering the market, I think that will tilt the balance. It won’t be game-over for Tesla, but it definitely will cut into its market value.

Hermes likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine what demand for EV’s and hybrids will look like by the end of this summer as gas prices go above $6. I stopped hemming and hawing and got a hybrid we’d been eyeing, because I’m not convinced demand won’t shoot up even more as things get worse and worse in August.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Agreed. Tesla is the Blackberry of Palm Pilots in EVs.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I would think Tesla faces an iffy future even without Musk's shenanigans because for a car brand that's staked its reputation on being cutting edge, that edge sure has dulled in the past decade...(for the record, the original is prettier)...
    2012 Tesla Model S

[​IMG]

2022 Tesla Model S

[​IMG]

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Tesla can't make their cars fast enough, and they're getting beat to the truck market by other companies. At a certain point, their headstart in the field isn't going to matter, since it's not like they're going up against other start-ups. Toyota, GM, etc. are going to spend and more importantly produce cars to meet market demands.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Is it mean to say that looks a lot like a Saturn LS2? Because I honestly thought somebody stuck a Tesla badge on one.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Top one reminds me of my brother’s old Ford Probe (RIP), a gorgeous hunk of metal with the build quality of an Italian army troop.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Drive my Probe for nine years. Man, I loved that car.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

A mix of a Probe and a Chrysler Sebring.

Or a Porsche living in its mom’s basement.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's not like truck users are insanely loyal to whatever brand they buy, so I'm sure that CyberTruck thing Elon smashed the windows on a few years ago will have great sales when it eventually rolls out head to head with options from Ford, Chevy and Dodge.

TigerVols likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I will say once you start getting 40-45 mpg in an SUV, there’s no going back to a car. It’s weird to be in a large vehicle and be getting better mileage than a compact car.

EV will take that to another level. Electric pick-ups will be insanely popular, for good reason.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have posted this before, I think, but the electric F-150 is the first EV I have heard my Cape golf friends seriously discuss buying. Pickups are big here because boats are big here.

Hermes and FileNotFound like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted