1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mike Scioscia busy?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, Joe many, many years ago was the Angels TV analyst so sure, why the hell not.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Wasn't that when he almost took over for John McNamara in Boston? Now THAT would have been a butterfly effect.

4. MileHigh

Late '80s. Want to say something like 1985 to 1989.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Yup, that would have been it. McNamara was fired at the All-Star Break in '88 and Walpole Joe Morgan worked his Morgan Magic to get them into the playoffs.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Bobby Valentine does some pre and postgame work on Angels TV, so he's available.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

He was wearing a bowtie on Sunday, so he's out.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

With a fake mustache and glasses?
    [​IMG]

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The Royals should offer Maddon whatever he wants. That’s the kind of team with which he can excel — a team with young talent that needs direction.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hermes likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

How long does Tony LaRussa get to be in third place before he’s next?

12. MileHigh

Maddon said the firing was "liberating."

Q&A with Joe Maddon after surprise firing from Angels: I want to manage

"It’s been kind of difficult overall. I’m into analytics, but not to the point where everybody wants to shove it down your throat. Real baseball people have felt somewhat impacted by all of this. You’re unable to just go to the ballpark and have some fun and play baseball. It’s too much controlled by front offices these days.

"I actually talked to Perry about this. This isn’t anything new. I told him that. I said you just try to reduce the information you’re giving, try to be aware of who’s giving the information and really be aware of when it’s time to stay out of the away. In general the industry has gone too far in that direction and that’s part of the reason people are into our game as much as they have been."

Draft saved Draft deleted