1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If it’s liberating they should have shoved him out the plane on the last road trip. Ungrateful bitch.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nevin to yell at them into a loss into wild card, where they lose by 11 runs, before Torre takes over next year.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wait, I figured it out ... Buck Showalter.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ahh shee-it, analytics nerds have sucked the fun out of the game. Hazleton Joe has it right.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That was the best thing I read: Analytical interference. Now I’m a Maddon fan.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Earl of Baltimore would've told 'em to blow that WAR right up where the sun don't shine.

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

1985 to the middle of the '90 season, when he left to take the Cardinals' managerial job.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Like anyone with a pen and paper, I love Maddon. And he ain't wrong about the fucking nerds ruining everything. But I don't think he's going to find the receptive audience he thinks he's going to find. GMs don't like big personalities and Maddon's teams have been trending in the wrong direction since the last out of the 2016 World Series. It's definitely not all his fault, but he hasn't made them better, either. I certainly hope he manages again, but I'm not so sure it happens.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Tigers fired Nevin at Toledo

maumann likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The Yankees fired Nevin, too. All I ever heard was they had too many guys thrown out at home with him coaching third. Was there more?

maumann likes this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And yet somehow good organizations seem to survive “analytical interference”

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Earl was the FOUNDER of analytics. He just kept it in his remarkable head rather than a spreadsheet, and when he explained it, the "fucks" every fourth word kept writers from really seeing what he was talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted