1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m not sure it ever happens. I think we’re going to see so much upheaval in our economy in the next 3-7 months that the voters say “no more” in a way that slows down a lot of climate change initiatives.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Alma, you may be right, but the entire automobile industry around the world has taken the opposite position.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m pretty plain spoken.

When I say “won’t work,” I mean widespread adoption at a reasonable price point, which you've maintained for a decade while the industry moves closer and closer.

You’re wrong and you’ll be wrong. The engine line I worked on at Honda building four-bangers is gone. Replaced by a $250 million battery line.

Honda ain’t here for luxury. They’re here for lowest price point for the largest number of people. And they’re relentless.

See ya in 2028.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What I actually have posted over and over again on here is that despite heavy subsidization that has tried to get people to buy electric for years now with part of the cost being pawned off on others, financially it has remained a bad value proposition for the vast majority of people, and that something needed to change if that was going to change (often pointing to the price of gas).

As I type this, less than 1 percent of the cars on the road in the U.S. are electric.

So wrong. :rolleyes:

The U.S. could outlaw gas-powered cars tomorrow or tax them so heavily that they make electric vehicles look more attractive to people -- this is the reason the established car companies are making nominal investments into trying to develop electric cars; they need to hedge their bets about what they will be allowed to sell and not sell given the political rhetoric around it. And if that happens, and everyone is driving around in an electric car, I still won't have ever said what you keep trying to attribute to me.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’ve calculated I’ll make back the difference in buying a hybrid CR-V instead of a regular CR-V in three years assuming gas stays above $4.50 a gallon — that’s without any subsidies. The Prologue will be available by mid-2024 and the CR-V EV, the holy grail of electric SUV’s given its dominance in the segment, should be ready by 2027.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Ford has made a pretty big bet on electrics.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes Ford has. With the correction that it has announced a pretty big investment in electric, it hasn't actually done much of anything yet. Same thing with GM. Each have announced tens of billions of dollars of commitment to developing them, and of course with the F-150 being the best selling vehicle in America, there is a lot of hype around the electric version. The number they actually are going to be able to produce anytime soon is going to be so small, though, that they are going to leave much of the demand (there is a waiting list) unfulfilled.

The driver for the car companies making those announcements about their commitment to electrics is threat of regulation that can destroy their businesses. This story is the latest (within the last 24 hours): EU lawmakers vote to ban sales of gasoline cars by 2035 - CNN

Those threats have been ratcheting up over time, which is why Ford, GM and others are being forced to hedge their bets. It's not innate consumer demand driving this. The cars are more expensive as they exist, have limitations that some people don't like, and they are getting more expensive in this inflationary environment, in part because of the rare earth minerals they utilize that have spiked in cost (something else I have posted about in the past). Here's a recent article about that: https://slate.com/technology/2022/06/electric-car-prices-tesla-ford-batteries-rare-metals.html

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    Batman likes this.
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This might be a dumb comparison (wouldn’t be my first), but I see 100% EVs having the same two major issues as solar panels on your roof:

1. Huge upfront costs deterring people from long-term savings (and environmental benefits).

2. Battery storage limitations.

Government incentives can and are being used to address the first issue, and technology advances could eventually help with the second issue.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Azrael and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No repair cost on a bicycle? LOL.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

EVs are easier to automate than gas/diesel vehicles.

Draft saved Draft deleted