1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Jared Walsh just hit for the cycle. Those analytics guys know their shit!

JC likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So ducking good. My pre analytical ass would have fought for George Bell as a 13 year old Jays fan, fuck Bill Madlock and Manny Lee

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

0368D953-73EB-4793-BBF3-000EDCC5EC0D.jpeg

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At some point there will be a biological female who throws a baseball like a biological male, and with similar enough heat.

And she'll get a chance in MLB especially with the universal DH. She might even pitch.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is Swarmer the Peterman of pitching?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Different question: is a woman more likely to make it into the high minors as a pitcher, or as a light-hitting middle infielder?

(I think part of the problem for young women moving up in the game generally is too much high-level softball and too little mid-level baseball.)

Starman likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Perhaps as a knuckleball pitcher?

I have never seen, not expect to ever see, a female pitcher who can crack 85 mph in baseball. And there's a reason scouts stop looking at a young prospect who can't crack 85 mph. If hitters have the time to easily identify and adjust to pitches on the fly, the pitcher has no chance to get those hitters out on a consistent basis.

But if she can throw it 70 mph with serious flutter, I think it would tend to even the playing field a bit.

Azrael likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If I can interrupt this Angels thread, the Giants lost their first series to the Rockies since 2019 and turn around and sweep the Dodgers. Weird, weird game.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And now, back to the Angels.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Analytics told him to get the haircut

Draft saved Draft deleted