1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, I've finally reached the point where I'll be surprised if he ever becomes a notable stopper again.

2. jr/shotglass

You know, this might be a patently ridiculous theory. But hey, I've been known to put those out there, too.

Is it just possible that Strasburg's career arc, the way he was coddled throughout his earlier years, will some day be considered an argument against hard pitch counts and over-protection of pitchers? I mean, nobody was protected like Stephen Strasburg. And what was the end result? It makes me wonder.

Myself, I liked the era when the Gibsons and Drysdales would throw 140 pitches and still be blowing heat in the ninth. But that might be old man shaking fist at cloud territory.

Batman and maumann like this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Nope. They're only going to get more and more careful and increase the speed at which they run along the hamster wheel.

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Tommy John surgery has been both an amazing advacement in technology and a disconcerting factor in how pitchers are handled. While it's resurrected the careers of countless guys, coaches now expect maximum effort with the idea that if the UCL tears, they'll just put a new rubber band in there and perhaps the guy will come back stronger.

Someone listed the number of guys on the Tigers' 40-man roster who have already had their UCL fixed. It's mind-boggling.

At some point, I figure surgeons will discover a flexible titanium/carbon fiber replacement tendon so these guys can throw even harder. Then they can move the pitching mound back to second base.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In 13 seasons and 247 starts, Strasburg has thrown two complete games. I think Gibson and Drysdale had some years where they averaged two a week.

6. jr/shotglass

Yadi just registered the most putouts of anyone ever to play MLB.

7. jr/shotglass

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How did Ozzie Albies break his foot?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nothing happening in St. Louis.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't see the highlight, but from reading the stories about it it sounds like it was just one of those things. He hit a ground ball and fell getting out of the box. So maybe he stepped or twisted wrong and that was that.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And Mikolas loses it with one out to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted