1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Which father-son MLB pitching combination combined for 354 wins?"

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Bobby and Barry Bo ... oh. ;)

maumann likes this.
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Jeff Mathis of his era

TigerVols and jr/shotglass like this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Here’s something we’ll never see again
    Mickey Lolich was 25-14 in 1971
    29 complete games, 2.92 ERA
    308 Ks in 376 innings
    22-14 the following season
    23 CGs, 2.50 ERA, 250 Ks in 327 innings

maumann likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its like out of a novel.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The mighty Angels being no-hit through 7 after getting three hits yesterday. Yep, it was all Madden’s fault.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I got that on my Twitter feed and I was kinda shocked; who would come up with a ridiculous take like that? Then I clicked to it and saw the byline. I was no longer shocked. I didn't bother reading the story by the way; I had work to do and wasn't in the mood for comic relief.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s not a real article. It’s a brief summation of what one day will be an article. It’s also why they should move not that they will. Someone needs to make the case that Nashville and Vegas can support MLB 5 years after the teams move there. Someone has to be last. Yankees and Boston love Baltimore. They get a lot of wins, it’s a short ride. Toronto and Tampa can get streaky good. The AL East needs a patsy. Baltimore is it.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Well, the good news is the Angels still haven't been no-hit this century. Only two other teams can say that. Name them!

maumann likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Reid Detmers hasn’t made it past the fifth inning since his No-hitter.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Remember, any time anybody talks about "contraction" in "major league " pro sports -- even a single team -- they're basically proclaiming they're an absolute fucking moron to the world.

The vast majority of profits in major league pro sports comes from franchise appreciation. You buy the franchise for $XXX hundred million dollars, then a few years later you sell it for billions.
    Franchise appreciation is based upon one bedrock assumption: The Franchise Will Continue To Exist.
    Once, in any league, it becomes apparent that assumption is no longer operative -- even through the elimination of ONE team -- the balloon bursts and all franchise values throughout the league crash cataclysmically.
    Eliminating ONE MLB franchise would probably result in an instantaneous dump of 30-50 percent of all franchise values.
    Now if Wacky Wobb's dream world came to pass and MLB "was really honest with itself," and contracted SIX franchises -- the values of the surviving franchises would power dive 75 to 90 percent. The entire league would be reduced to cinders.
    You'd probably be reduced to a teevee "super league" with 8-10 teams (total).

Batman and maumann like this.
  12. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted