1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Avoided serious injury. A cut across his nose and forehead.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I believe the NHL's Cleveland Barons were the last Big Four team to "merge," and that was in the middle of a decade of stagflation, oil crises and Watergate. That doesn't count shuttering the WHA and ABA. And also before sports TV deals became greater revenue producers than actual attendance.

If anything, leagues love expansion, because that gives the existing teams another influx of cash, even if it splits the broadcast revenue into smaller pies. Baseball is due to get to 32 teams at some point, and the NFL could easily accomodate 36 if it so wished.

It'd make zero sense to contract a franchise when there's always a sucker ... I mean, another city willing to take on billions of public debt to be "major league." The Athletics have packed up twice for green pastures. The third time could be the charm.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Surprised there was no mention of this cool bit of history from the Astros-Rangers game yesterday. Astros pitchers Luis Garcia and Phil Maton both threw immaculate innings — against the same group of batters, no less. It's the first time two pitchers have thrown an immaculate inning in the same game.

Astros first to toss 2 immaculate frames in game

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Two three-pitch innings against the same guys would be even cooler.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Also yesterday, Yoan Moncada of the White Sox went 5 for 6.

That raised his season batting average to .181

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, as you note, that was close to 50 years ago, and the NHL at the time had just a rudimentary corporate presence and TV contract. No regional teevee coverage at the time.

The ABA and WHA mergers prove the point. When franchises start going out of business, the whole league is in big trouble.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    maumann likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Larry Hirsch moved from the Barons to be the Devils' first radio guy. I called him cold in college and said I wanted to go into sports broadcasting. He invited me to the next game, set me up with tickets, and sat me in the media seats near him. A real mensch I'll always remember.

maumann likes this.
  8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Tonight’s box score
    Tigers runs — 1
    Herschel Walker secret children — 3

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The Guardians swept the Rockies. In all three games Emmanuel Clase ended the game by coaxing a GIDP. The odds on that have to astronomical.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I beg Raphael Warnock to produce bumper stickers that read "Honk if Herschel Walker is your padre."

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Tigers had a meeting last night
    Maybe it went something like this

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Tigers have the same odds of scoring as a gelding in a barn full of fillies. Not to be confused with the Phillies.

Draft saved Draft deleted