1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 1, 2022.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm still not entirely sure what can happen here. According to some Google searching, Vince owns between 35 to 42 percent of the company's stock, depending on what source you read. Brandon Thurston on Twitter seems to be providing good information in real-time about things. He broke down their SEC filing in 2021, and because the McMahon's stock is a different class, they actually have around 81 percent of the voting power of the company, so it's essentially privately run. Vince seemingly had consensual sex with a 41-year-old, which is gross because he's Vince, but infidelity alone isn't really seen as a huge factor on company value in normal life, never mind professional wrestling. It would probably be more damaging to Linda, if she was going to make yet another political run.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It seems like the big problem would be if he paid the $3M with corporate funds instead of his own money. Or if the TV companies and sponsors get a little miffed about this.

Otherwise, the cynic in me thinks the investigation will amount to peanuts and Vince will be back in charge once the smoke blows over.

I’m willing to be surprised, though.

JimmyHoward33 and sgreenwell like this.
  3. sgreenwell

I suppose, but corporate money *is* ultimately Vince's money. $3M is a drop in the bucket for WWE. They'll get that back from the commercials for Smackdown tonight, since the freak show aspect of this will probably juice the rating. If nothing else comes out on this, I suspect it'll be forgotten pretty quickly.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A giant red flag for me is that the affair was with someone in the company. McMahon is obviously in a position of power and influence over his employees. Were they coerced into a relationship that eventually became consensual? What if the 41-year-old paralegal felt pressured into a date or something else with McMahon for fear of losing her job, or some kind of retaliation? How many other women had this happen to them? If there’s textbook sexual harassment in this one instance, the next question for me would be, for how long has this pattern existed?

Tighthead and sgreenwell like this.
  5. sgreenwell

Oh, definitely. If suddenly 20 non-disclosure pacts come to light, or a class action sexual harassment law suit, that's gonna be bad times for Vince and the company.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

041BAAFE-A929-4573-89C7-A00A451B309F.jpeg
    Long term booking?

I’m having a hard time knowing whether to laugh at some of the Stephanie/HHH memes out there today bc this is a serious thing but some of this shit is gold, Jerry, gold

Batman and sgreenwell like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Look up Rita Marie Chatterton.

Oz likes this.
  8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just did. Wow, I did not know that story.

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

10. Baron Scicluna

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

What the fuck was that for? Vince is really THAT smug of a pompous ass to come out and basically say he's not going anywhere? No sense of regret or sorrow?

Yeah, I know the answer to that.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone expected Vince to come out and do a 10-minute mea culpa, but that came across as one of the most random segments ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted