1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Dear professor Alma. By cutting availability and raising prices, aren’t the oil companies increasing demand for the electric cars, etc., which will eventually lead to us using less gas and meaning refineries are less useful? The bottom line is we are moving, slowly, away from needing gas, and there’s nothing they can do to stop it except keep gas prices low.
    They must know this. So what’s a real reason to cut production and charge more? One possible reason: to make consumers be angry at the current administration.

matt_garth likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sheesus christ ...

3. doctorquant

She's the exception to the rule that defines sailing (the fine art of getting drunk while going slowly nowhere at great expense).

Fred siegle and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Boat: A hole in the water that you line with money.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't know what we'd call what she was in that moment. A climate artist? A climate monk? Time magazine boarding her zero emissions boat for an Person of the Year interview like the kid was a sage?

For a moment, it’s as if Thunberg were the eye of a hurricane, a pool of resolve at the center of swirling chaos. In here, she speaks quietly. Out there, the entire natural world seems to amplify her small voice, screaming along with her.

“We can’t just continue living as if there was no tomorrow, because there is a tomorrow,” she says, tugging on the sleeve of her blue sweatshirt. “That is all we are saying.”

The boat is called La Vagabonde, you know.

(I cannot believe this doesn't raise your skeptical meter the slightest bit.)

6. Neutral Corner

"La Vagabonde" isn't Thunberg's boat. It belongs to an Australian couple who gave her a ride. It is also not a zero emission boat. It's a big catamaran, which mostly travels under sail, but has an engine for use when it is necessary.

I know this because I've followed them on Youtube for years. Six or seven years back they moved over to living full time on their boat and started a Youtube channel, a video diary of their travels. They've gained enough followers and people donating to their Patreon that they make a good living off of sailing around the world. They've had two kids since.

They've got a new boat under construction that will be zero emission or very close to it.

Anyhow, when I need to dump some stress, I check out one of their posts on youtube. It's everyday boat life, sailing, diving for fish and lobster, and a travelogue from all around the world. There are worse ways to waste a little time.

Random example.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Slacker likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

I don't know that I'm a big Thunberg stan, but she at least tries to walk the walk. Crossing the ocean this way costs her time, and many other climate critics hop a jet (or their own private jet).

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Al Gore, line 1.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At least it was a two-wheeler. Can anyone see TFG on a bicycle?

12. doctorquant

There are several of those I've followed over the years. The adventures of S/V Delos was a weekly must-see Youtube for me for quite awhile.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted