1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who needed these hearings to get them to acknowledge reality isn't going to see the light because of the hearings. The hearings are useless. It's a show. But if they are going to insist on putting on that show (when we all knew what had happened by February, 2020), I'm actually glad they aren't spinning like tops to try to shape the perceptions of a bunch of morons. What they are doing is crafted. ... but it's by and large just the truth. That's not bad when you're talking about Congress.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    wicked likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK. I can accept that and the possible hopelessness of the exercise.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They are not useless, it is not a hopeless exercise. They create public record of exactly what happened, who did what, and how culpable Trump and his gang of criminals were. At some point, maybe not now, that record will become important as historians delve deeper into the 2020 election and the Jan. 6 terrorist attack..

Joe McCarthy is still vilified more than 60 years after the Army-McCarthy hearings, in a large part because the testimony was recorded and on record. People saw his evilness. The same with Watergate. Many then said the hearings were not important, that they wouldn't change minds, yada yada yada. History has shown they did influence people's thought as generations passed.

Ike made damn sure there was plenty of horribly graphic film of the concentration camps. He knew the deniers were coming. He knew some people would not believe it. But the film made it impossible to deny (yes, I know some do, but they are few and widely dismissed). Video testimony does not lie. It does not disappear. It will be there for future historians to watch.

Somewhere out there there's a 25-year-old Robert Caro that will do to Trump what Caro did to Robert Moses. Caro's "Power Broker" essentially destroyed the phony, public reputation of what many thought was a great man.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If there is no value in telling the story for its own sake, most of us went into the wrong profession way back when.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your post made me reconsider what I said about the hearings being useless. Useless for shaping current perceptions that shouldn't have needed the hearings. But maybe valuable for the reasons you said.

TowelWaver, maumann and tea and ease like this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If 40% of 2020 voters remain incorrigible in 2024 and stick with their idol Twitchy ....

Welp, Twitchy loses 60-40, which is approaching LBJ-Goldwater territory.

In raw votes, Twitchy got 7 million fewer votes than Joe Biden in 2020. Orange Julius' electorate isn't getting any younger and probably doesn't lead the healthiest lifestyle.

So the only thing that needs to be guarded against in 2024 is legislative nullification in states where Dems carry majorities but Pubes hold the statehouse. The public will be watching these states like hawks, and should.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I don’t know if you noticed but all the witnesses are Republicans

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Most of the witnesses are gop, many wanted trump to win...in 20 freaking 20! And of course his own staff, etc.
    I would love to see them testify, please, oh please, let it happen. But they have plenty with the existing witnesses.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The way Cornyn is looking right now, Beto probably wants a do-over. Gov. Fuck You I Got Mine has the Teflon force field activated.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Some of the witnesses were microphones and video cameras. It's not often that there is evidence equivalent to Trump getting on the phone with Raffensperger and demanding that he "find" 11,000 votes he needed to take the Georgia election. Criming directly into the microphone on White House records is a gift that prosecutors seldom see.

maumann likes this.
  11. Jake from State Farm

Mr. Margaret Hoover

garrow likes this.
  12. Jake from State Farm

This is the way hearings are supposed to work and haven’t in years
    Tough questions and riveting testimony
    No clowns like Gym Jordan, Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley yelling and screaming, badgering witnesses and acting like morons

Draft saved Draft deleted