1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One less day until Election Day for the GOP house of cards to collapse.

Democrats already have resigned themselves to an ass kicking, and that’s another story entirely, but if there is no momentum their way by Sept. 15, they’re cooked.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

While he was pretending to be on the phone, he was also insisting that he had no idea who sent him the list of fake electors that he was supposed to deliver to Pence. He didn't explain why it was that he was rushing to deliver papers from some unknown person to the hands of the Vice President on Jan. 6. Personally, I think that strains credulity a bit too far.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So MAGA Mo Brooks has been curbed by former Patriot Wesley Britt’s wife in Alabam?

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

In short, sex stuff is different. Laying aside the fact that we're barely a generation from a Democratic president endorsing the Defense of Marriage Act, the American public's stunted, juvenile relationship with their own sexuality makes a gay man a non-starter as a national candidate. In fact, I think you could make a convincing argument that Obergefell was a major tipping point in the Republican Party's descent into madness on the grounds that 1. it was a major territorial loss for that subculture akin to what the left is likely to suffer in the next few weeks with Roe v. Wade, 2. made real a significant right-wing bogeyman thus justifying that perceived existential crisis, 3. militantly secularized a major government service in a way not seen since prayer was banned in public schools. I think, if we can get over the whole "first woman President" hurdle that the first "gay woman President" wouldn't be a big leap, especially given negative stereotypes of woman in power and stereotypes of lesbianism in popular culture. There's never been an out gay man as a Senator, Tammy Baldwin's in the Senate and Kyrsten Sinema is bi. But I think for this country to elect a gay man as President is going to take an entire reconception of masculinity in this culture (and a significant marginalization of the religious right).

Mngwa, Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In a functional nation, Fatfuck would have been strapped up to a wall and shot about 15 months ago.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm all for a gas tax holiday, especially if the states follow along. Mine has already discussed it. That would knock a total of 46 cents a gallon off for me.
    The problem I see is that we can't really see or check on whether it's been done. There needs to be some sort of oversight so if a gas company keeps its prices where they are and pockets extra profits, someone needs to be in cuffs.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The cynic in me thinks gas prices will stay the same even with a tax holiday. “Hey, they’re used to paying this, so let’s raise prices once the taxes are eliminated” will be said in a boardroom.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not that short-term thinking doesn't happen in boardrooms, but that'd be a major blunder because the blame for the prices would go directly from Biden to the oil companies. BTW, the gas tax holiday is a bad idea. It is POLITICAL short-term thinking. As soon as the holiday is over, boom, back up go the prices, and you get the blame.

Draft saved Draft deleted