1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It’s a gamble. You bet that supply will increase in 3 months. You already know demand will decrease after Labor Day.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's the best of the best in America right now.

All I kept thinking when the Arizona House Speaker was testifying is that a whole lot of Iowans (and everything that entails) would never again vote Trump. That's huge.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

For anyone who pays attention, the blame is already on the oil companies, and not the POTUS. But most people don't pay attention to the facts. All they know is what they see at the pump.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As political science research has proven time and again, the President, as the highest ranking elected official, gets blamed for EVERYTHING. There's evidence showing voters blame incumbents (not Presidents, but Governors and Mayors) for bad weather. My guess is that much of the ire about inflation is part of the overall frustrations generated by the pandemic. If it wasn't gas prices (a real issue), it'd be some other issue.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m more worried about the roads crumbling than paying $5 a gallon. I’m not for this gas tax holiday at all.

Mr. Sluggo, Slacker, wicked and 3 others like this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The whole concept of using a federal gas tax to pay for building the Interstate Highway System was those who will use the roads should pay for them.

Could you imagine today’s GOP approving that concept? Me neither.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Current price in Germany, $7.53 / gallon

Current price in Norway, $9.77 / gallon

Current price in Great Britain, $8.66 / gallon

Current price in France, $8.30 / gallon

etc.

Beautiful highways. Beautiful.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So they're closing the boyfriend loophole, which would have been the biggest cock block in the bill.

14 R's aboard.

lakefront likes this.
  9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

They really have to. If not it will be one of the turning points in our history. This is everything. If they have the idea that it would not look good to prosecute a former potus, wait till they see what happens next. Even with the violence that is sure to come if they don't do, it won't compare.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The gas tax is a drop in the bucket. Nobody will notice much difference between $5.09 and $5.29. And Big Oil will drop prices modestly at best and make more money off the deal.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Likewise great trains and streetcars and light rail and buses and subways, etc., etc., ad inf.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Apples and Oranges.
    Those places are about the size of an average state and have great train systems. Gas prices don't impact the same percentage of people.

Azrael and jr/shotglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted