1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

"Violating your oath to protect the constitution," isn't a crime. It should be a disqualifier to hold public office, but in today's GOP it's a feature, not a bug.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Better than the alternative.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

FTFY. Yes, I’m using stereotypes. Yes, I have no qualms in doing so.

If DoJ were so concerned about charging the Trumpists, Merrick Garland wouldn’t be wasting time flitting around Kyiv.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This may be a hot take, but the hearings couldn't really have gone much better for the GOP.

It's obvious EVERY Republican with one or more brain cells -- including the Orange Cheeto hisself -- knew the election was on the up-and-up and Trump lost, but were too afraid of getting slaughtered by the rabid Trumpists in their own districts to man up and throw the bum out with the trash. They could easily vote against impeachment, but 1/6 only made them more leery of Trump's Proud Boys/Three Percenters/racist militia.

Politicians learn very early how to read public opinion, and right now, there's still enough groundswell MAGA support to straddle the fence.

So Cheney and Kinzinger are taking the bullets for the liars, swindlers and weaklings, the GOP can perhaps scour their own shit stain while blaming the Democrats for a "witch hunt," plus have the glorious option of using inflation/gas prices in 2022 without having to defend their actions during the insurrection and can still kowtow to the Trumpists and MAGAts.

However, they now need Trump and his family to go away forever. If he still has any major influence in the party -- with the worst case scenario that he throws his name back into the fray for 2024 -- they're stuck with a toxic, poisonous situation. So the hearings have allowed the GOP to kick the can down the road, for now.

HanSenSE, wicked and jr/shotglass like this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

FL is going to have a gas tax holiday... in October. It was voted on last month. So, in the final lead up to the election, DeSantis gets to tell everyone he's saving them money. The D candidates should be hitting this every day. But they aren't.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOL. Democrats are totally lost.

TigerVols likes this.
  8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Not really the point. The US has always paid far less at the pump than other countries. Could that really last forever, especially when we've spent the last two decades buying bigger and bigger SUVs and trucks?

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I like the take, and if the upshoot of all this is simply that Trump and his family go away forever, then the hearings will have accomplished a great deal.

It surprises even myself how little I have heard his voice over the past six months. And I'd certainly like to keep it that way for the duration.

Patchen likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Obstruction of the operations of the federal government is indeed a crime under statue. That's what DOJ would have to prove. There's a lot of evidence. As for, Trumpers would riot, let 'em try. The first riot they tried is not working out really well for the rioters, many of whom are currently residing in the DC jail.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, I mean, they can be marched off to our overcrowded prisons. And the destruction won't suddenly vanish because that happened. I don't really see that as a good trade-off for the ol' USA.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted