1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, if Maher's interpretation of societal trends is correct, in not very many years everybody's gonna be a homosexual anyway, so ...

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think Pete Buttigieg is incredibly intelligent. I'd love to have lunch with the guy. But intelligence and experience aren't the same thing, and as I said on Tuesday, Buttigieg's experience in government amounts to being the mayor of the sixth-largest city in Indiana (I'm guessing on that figure) and two years as a low-level Cabinet secretary. If you want to throw in his military experience on his CV, that's fine but no one was putting up the likes of Arne Duncan or Hilda Solis as presidential material.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We've probably already had at least one gay president. Maybe two. Maybe more.

Out gay presidents is a different category.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...7b1eb4-41de-11e9-922c-64d6b7840b82_story.html

Finding Homosexual Threads in Lincoln's Legend (Published 2004)

or https://www.thedailybeast.com/debunking-the-myth-that-lincoln-was-gay

Mngwa likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Democrats seem to have always had a massive experience/exposure issue once you eliminate the dozen or so old codgers who control the party. They've traditionally done a terrible job grooming (heh) young, popular, charismatic candidates for national elections. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are two who fit that description, but both were non-traditional choices, in my opinion, outside the typical Democratic political machine.

The top four nominees in 2020 (Biden, Sanders, Warren and Bloomberg) were all over 70. And those are the same damn names that keep coming up in conversations for 2024. Could we possibly stop looking in retirement homes for Democratic leadership?

When you look at younger Democratic governors who might be 2024 longshots, it's pretty slim pickings. Gavin Newsom is 54. Gretchen Whitmer is 50. J.B. Pritzker is 57.

It's still more than two years away, but if there's better option, the Democrats better uncover it soon.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

79069DA5-C70C-4480-871B-1A119341740B.jpeg

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It will probably happen before any woman is elected regardless of her sexual orientation.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Democratic Party's voters made the choice to favor older candidates in the 2020 primaries, not some inner party cabal. Buttigieg and Beto were candidates, and they both went nowhere fast. Harris is in her 50s, FWIW.

maumann likes this.
  9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To be fair - It's not like Republicans are any better. Their last two presidents have been a NY grifter opportunist that beat out an entire field of fuckers with established R credentials, and the seemingly harmless fail-son of a political dynasty. And because the sample size is so small and random - we elect a president every 4 years - you probably couldn't "groom" a candidate if you tried. Sometimes, the right guy comes along and catches fire in a bottle (Obama, Reagan).

That being said, yeah, I'd probably throw out a relative newcomer if Biden isn't running in 2024. Ultimately, you're going to win more elections on the platform of "Vote for Me" instead of "Vote against Them." I think that's partly why the Democratic Party fucks up so often. They're happy to put up older candidates who have "paid their dues" instead of people that generate any form of excitement. An election is a popularity contest.

Liut, garrow, maumann and 1 other person like this.
  11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

What happens if we don't prosecute? What is happening in the next couple years if he gets away with it?

(him going away is not an answer, he wont)

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The next time some right-wing nutjob threatens one of these people, their security detail needs to take them out. That will stop that shit RFN.

Draft saved Draft deleted