1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It is illegal to threaten an elected official. Republicans whine about enforcing all the “laws on the books” before doing anything gun control… Democrats should do the same here.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Whine?

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Liut and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It amazes me how poorly run they are.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was just saying the other day that you know who’s voice I wouldn’t pick out of a lineup? Merrick Garland. I truly do not know what he sounds like.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True or untrue ?

Mngwa likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Katie Porter doesn’t grandstand for the hell of it. She’s always prepared with a strong argument as to why she feels a certain way.

OscarMadison and Fred siegle like this.
  9. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

It definitely worked with Ashli Babbitt.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just taking the premise. ... that oil companies are making record profits. UNTRUE.

People keep repeating that one now.

Companies like Exxon, Chevron, etc. earned quite a bit more in 2011, 2012 and into 2013 than they are right now, when the price of oil ran up. But who knows? If the price of oil keeps rising, maybe they will earn record profits. With inflation where it is, do you think they are earning record profits in real terms (not nomimal)?

What started as, "record profit GROWTH" has now just been shortened to just "record profits (I heard it's true!). ... PUNISH THEM!"

FWIW, the reason that profits grew so much over the last year (i.e. record profit GROWTH, not record profits)? When the price of oil cratered in 2020 (the futures price went negative at one point), those companies got absolutely slaughtered. There were losses throughout the industry (no populist nonsense then about how they can unilaterally set prices, though). A year later, comparing what they are earning today (with the price of oil having jumped so much) to the depressed earnings then, of course they have seen ridiculous growth in earnings. If you go from 0 to 1, it's 100 percent growth.

No, they are not "gouging" people. Supply and demand dynamics are such that they can charge more right now. ... and buyers are meeting what they can supply at the current price. Everyone is gouging. ... if you personally feel what they charge is too much. Amazingly, somehow, people freely pay the "gouged" price as much as they wish they could pay less.

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted