1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I watched the final 40 laps because I was bored and wanted to see the CoT. That was 40 more laps than I've watched, combined, in years.

The way his tire snapped off and flipped the car, I guess because of the tether that held -- and that tether must be some strong cable -- was crazy. The AP story today about how the cars' bodies are more rounded now was interesting, in relation to losing control.

Coca-Cola 600 long, unpredictable and immensely entertaining

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Azrael and maumann like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also on YouTube if you've never seen it, "The Racers," 1955. Kirk Douglas, Gilbert Roland and the most beautiful race cars ever built.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

They haven't done it for over 50 years at LeMans, but the drivers having to run across the track and get into their cars is still 1) dangerous as hell, 2) cool as crap to me.

[​IMG]

Typist Clerk and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Have to say the live onboard stuff is amazing.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not sure who the announcers are right now, but I’ve watched for five minutes and there’s been zero discussion of the racing.

maumann likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

But just what do you do when the door striker fails and you're trying to keep the vehicle going down the Mulsanne Straight?

maumann likes this.
  9. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

That would be tremendous, as long as the car was set to not start until the belts were attached.

maumann likes this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Just don't let FoMoCo design them, or else there could be a driver death before the ignition is turned. Ever have those stupid motorized shoulder belts whap you across the face and almost crack you in the temple as you turn the ignition key? Some ... interesting ... design ideas from FoMoCo not too many generations ago.

maumann likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

RIP Bruton Smith.
    I'll just put this here because most folks won't know him, but those of us who knew him, RIP.

He did a lot for NASCAR and NHRA. I'll admit that I took the side of Humpy when they parted ways, but with all respect, RIP.

maumann likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I just saw a statement released by an SMI track president, and it was as much kissing the ring of Marcus as it was saying something meaningful about Bruton.

The last time I was around them, it would have been July-August 2012. I don't think Bruton was with it that day, and Marcus was already claiming the throne.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted