1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's a metaphor for the coming recession.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. HoopsterG

HoopsterG Member

I enjoyed the tire-less threadjack/tips. So thanks!

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Life is in the threadjacks.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That’s what I was getting at.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Many years ago, my first wife called me, said she had a flat, and needed me to come.
    OK.
    I get there, and as I am getting out of my truck, I notice she is gathering her stuff, locking the car, etc.
    "What are you doing?"
    "I have a flat. We need to call a tow truck."
    "What the hell's wrong with you? This is a pit stop. Time me."

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The closest I have been to rock bottom was during my divorce when I spent a broiling hot day walking the lot of the local Pull-A-Part and praying I could find a tire to fit my shitbox Cavalier. After that, I started relying on this sketchy recap place with the reassuring name “Good Tires” where I was invariably the only native English speaker in the shop.

OscarMadison and Hermes like this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Welcome to the Good Tires, home of the good tires, can I take your order?”

8. dixiehack

I mean, how can you go wrong?

EB45F6B0-6F86-4FDD-B9B8-789E4330FA38.jpeg

Surprisingly solid ratings on Google and Yelp though.

Hermes likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There was a place like that near my old newsroom that was tremendous. It was even more handy when I lived right in that neighborhood for a year or so.

They had every tire imaginable and if you got there when they opened at 8, you were in and out in a half-hour.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Only he didn’t say fudge.

OscarMadison, Driftwood and dixiehack like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Places like that will sometimes surprise you.

I have told this story before on here, I am sure. ... When I was younger, I had a beater car that I kept parked on the street. It was barely running by the time I got rid of it. I would put no money into it, so unless a mechanic was proposing bandaids and not too much cost, I was just milking what I could out of the car. I once came out to find one of the windows randomly broken, and someone I knew told me to take it to this guy in an industrial neighborhood in Brooklyn. He'd have a new window in there in 2 hours at a good price. The place was the sketchiest looking place I have ever been, the guy running it was even sketchier looking. But I came back and there was a new window, all cash, easy peasy nice and sleazy.

A few months later, I came out to find the driver's side view mirror ripped clean off the car. So I took it to the same guy, he tells me to come back in two hours, and when I got there he said, "Good news, we found a mirror in the same color."

To this day, I don't know if they had a junk supplier who just happened to have my mirror handy or if they had a guy walking the streets looking for a red Honda Accord just like mine. I didn't ask. All cash, no questions.

12. dixiehack

The tires never lasted longer than a year and I’ve never heard of any of the brand names before or since. But I got my money’s worth out of them and it helped me get by until I was back on my feet. I have no complaints.

OscarMadison, sgreenwell and wicked like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted