1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Perhaps the biggest problem with the Friday ruling - it will justify any group of justices in overturning precedent "because" they have the numbers. This can't be minimized. The point of our national law wasn't to go this way and that based on the politics of the day, but to be better "defined" as we go forward as a nation. If its any solace to lefties, today's decision provides full cover for legislation that clarify what guns can and can't be posssesed by the general public. As bad as the overturning of Roe is, it's implications are quite terrible for pretty much any law that finds itself in the crosshairs of the SCOTUS majority.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I by no means want anyone to take this as criticism of UP Chip's eloquent post. But as often happens, Aaron Sorkin was wrong. Democrats don't always lose, they just don't always win, either. At present they hold the White House and have narrow, essentially unworkable but still there, majorities in both houses of Congress. I know it is Washington gospel that those majorities will be swept away in November because gas prices, but events change public opinion and overturning Roe strikes me as a pretty big event. This board is overwhelmingly male, but the majority of Democratic voters are women.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What Friday’s ruling proves is this SCOTUS is run by a political cabal that would have installed Trump as president if given the chance.
    We are at a teetering point of democracy. Unless there’s an overwhelming turnout of Democratic voters in the next two elections—and they have the opportunity to vote for a younger, new breed of candidates, we’re fucked.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I think the age of free and fair elections is probably in the past and whoever is the GOP nom in 2024 wins, triggering terrible, terrible consequences.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We certainly saw that in Texas v. Pennsylvania.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I follow a moderately popular artist on Facebook who posted a Handmaid’s Tale inspired image yesterday and then immediately followed it up with an apology because that show is apparently too centered on white cis women and he (of course it is a white he) is looking forward to recreating the scene without the imagery.

And my thought was, you are in a lawless bar brawl and you are afraid to lead with your sharpest, most easily recognized weapon. Instead you want to workshop a response and sand it down until it can’t hurt anyone and arrives too late anyway. And damn if that doesn’t capture the uselessness of the activist class in moments like these.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Horrible but true. In very little time, surely before November, images like that guy's Handmaid's Tale thing will be irrelevant. The faces of the death of Roe will be those of dead women, real humans who perished because their states banned abortion. They will have families and other loved ones to tell their tales.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

And the faces of women arrested for having a miscarriage in a state where abortion is banned.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted