1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boys on Amazon - spoiler thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Jul 29, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think Termite had made it far enough down the urethra that he was actually inside the boyfriend's body. I love the reasoning for why they had him go that route, too. They said it was because they had already blown someone up from the ass, that being the death of Translucent in Season 1. They wanted to make sure this was different. :D

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Whenever I see this thread title, I think of Gregory Peck getting eaten by dogs.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Went down that rabbit hole. Good for them for taking on the maga crowd.

BTW, this is one of the meanest villains on tv:
    download (1).jpg

aaand this is the header to Antony Starr's twitter page:

starr pups.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  5. outofplace

They did a nice job building up the expectation of depravity in the live-action version of "Herogasm" while finding a way to keep it relatively small and making it fit into the overall story. I'm not sure if it feels small to those who haven't read the source material, but it absolutely is by comparison. It still works, though much of the episode is really character-driven rather than relying entirely on gross-out humor.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I was more repelled by the scene with Frenchie, Kimiko, Little Nina, et al. No, wait. I'll go there. I was triggered. I had to turn it off and walk away for a few minutes.
    Herogasm was 90s Vertigo level gross stupidity. The saving graces for the last third of the show were Starlight telling Vought to take this job and shove it and the fight scene with Soldier Boy, Homelander, Billy, and Huey.

Is A-Train gone for good? He's had me since, "Hi, shitbirds!" Gonna miss him.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm finally caught up so I'm diving into this thread. I think it was brilliant they saved this scene for later. Really shows Homelander's spiral into full Trump.

Question, was the comic this analogous to contemporary politics or are they embracing the MAGA parallels because it is so crazy why bother reinventing the wheel? If that makes any sense.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

BTW, I have no idea why it hit so hard, but I almost had to take a break from the show when Deep is forced to eat the octopus. Deep gagging with the octopus in his mouth and saying "he's praying" hit in a way that I'm not sure it should have.

I know it is very Hollywood to go this route, but they've got to be setting up Deep's full rejection of the Scientology wife and Homelander and joining up with either Starlight or Butcher to save them when Homelander is about to win, right?

9. outofplace

It is a bit of both. The comic did draw on the politics of its time, but there have also been changes, such as Starlight going public with what The Deep did to her. In the comics, it was Homelander who told her she had to blow him to join the team. Noir and A-Train walk in on them. She thinks they will help her, but they pull their pants down to join in. The Deep wasn't even involved. There was no Me Too type movement in the comics as there was in the show.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  10. outofplace

I doubt it. I imagine he will turn on the wife at some point, but I think he will remain a piece of crap. They already have A-Train trying to pull of a redemption arc. I would hope they don't also do it with Deep.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. outofplace

They certainly have some disturbing stuff in the show, but the comics really were worse. They put Huey through a lot in the comic, much of it just for comic effect.

That would be a very different fate for A-Train relative to the comics, certainly a better one.

I wonder just how far they are going to take things this season. I don't see how they bring Homelander back to something resembling a status quo. He's got to be out to kill Butcher, Huey, and Starlight at this point. Soldier Boy and Noir are very different from the characters in the comic. I can imagine we end up with something similar to the end of the comic, but I d0ubt they get to that point for a while.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Can someone give me a guesstimate on the timing of the octopus scene? I very much don’t want to watch it.

Draft saved Draft deleted