1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

See

IMG_1721.JPG

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried Facebook groups? I unloaded a bunch of open-wheel stuff (media guides, posters) a while back on an IndyCar fan page, guy picked everything up at my house. And, surprisingly, he wasn't old.

3. Driftwood

Yeah, I posted a lot of 100 for $25. I'll see if I get any takers.
    I actually sold three non-working chainsaws from the 70s on there yesterday for $20 each.
    I've got a crap ton of NASCAR and NHRA media guides I'd like to get a few bucks for.

maumann likes this.
  4. playthrough

My wife lives on Facebook Marketplace for furniture. One bright side of $5 gas is telling her I'm done making long drives for crap and she can't argue.

Driftwood likes this.
  5. Driftwood

I currently have 2 chairs and spinning wheel from the 1800s posted on there if she is interested!

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Some people just put a new mortgage on the mansion. Not Teresa.

maumann likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Good for her. I’d cash in on the name, too. Junior certainly ain’t crying poverty, neither are Kelley or Kerry.

(Some of the other family nonsense, I could do without.)

maumann likes this.
  8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see the revenue on the Dale merch. The older crowd who remembers him doesn't watch or like NASCAR today, for the most part. The younger crowd that might be more in tune with Dale Jr, or anyone after him, likely doesn't remember Dale or much other than "a legend who died in a race somewhere." I can't see them buying a lot of Senior merch.

Maybe it'll sell. Who knows.

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There's a big NASCAR collectibles store on the beach in Daytona, filled with Dale stuff. But from what I could tell, it's mostly gathering dust on shelves in the back, as the hot items were all Chase Elliott, William Byron and Kyle Larson gear. At the Twins that night, there were a couple of Junior Bud tees, and some Mountain Dew stuff. However, they still hold up three fingers on the third lap (and baseball fans stand up in the seventh inning and sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame," too, and probably couldn't tell you why).

The crash was more than 21 years ago, ancient history in NASCAR's timeline. The cars have evolved from Twisted Sisters to Next Gen to whatever they are now. The national series sponsor has changed from Winston to Nextel to Sprint to Monster to nothing in that time period. There hasn't been a GM Goodwrench since 2011. But I can buy a Brooklyn Dodgers cap from Ebbets Field Flannels, so I guess P.T. Barnum is right.

There's nobody under 25 who saw Ironhead race, let alone wreck Labonte, win any of his seven titles or make the Pass In The Grass. He'd be 71 if he had lived, just another old guy with sunglasses and a mustache, like that other seven-time champion.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    wicked and Driftwood like this.
  10. Driftwood

My earliest memories are of Richard in 43, David in the 21, Cale in the 11, and Bobby in 12.
    I am a historian of the sport, so I have an in-depth knowledge of the Flocks, Lorenzen, and Roberts; I met Lee Petty and Ned Jarrett; Junior was a crew chief/owner, not a driver; I don't have a connection or fetish to them.
    I saw Ironhead race, I saw him wreck Labonte, I saw him win his seven titles, I saw the Pass in the Grass, I was there for One Hot Night.. all in person.
    I honestly don't know what my point with this is, other than to quote Jimmy Buffett: Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
    Earnhardt was the second greatest of all time as far as I'm concerned, but I don't own a Ty Cobb t-shirt.

SixToe, wicked and maumann like this.
  11. playthrough

The crash feels every bit of 21 years ago, especially being pre 9/11 too.

I'm skeptical of new Dale stuff selling, hope I'm wrong. My favorite item from way back was a poster some college friends had in their house, it was a poster of Dale laying on top of his car with EARN IT at the bottom. Just thought that was darned cool.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

When you say Wisconsin, you've said it all.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted