1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Airplanes would be falling out of the skies every day.

You mean like the 737 MAX the FAA grounded because it did fall out of the sky, twice?

Or do you mean like the two 737-300s that crashed in Colorado Springs and Pittsburgh for no apparent reason?

Or the Alaska Airlines plane that augered into the Pacific near Los Angeles in 2000?

Or the Conair plane that crashed near Buffalo?

Planes do fall out of the sky. Think how many more would if the FAA was a toothless as the SCOTUS just made the EPA?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Whatever you think the FAA is doing for you? It doesn't do it any better than it would be getting done without the FAA. What the FAA does a good job of is making flying more onerous, less convenient and more expensive for all of us. In the case of the 737 MAX that you pointed out, the FAA CAUSED it. ... via a corrupt regulatory scheme that gave the airlines buying those planes cover so they didn't have to make sure the planes were safe to avoid the liability.

And if you really don't get that. ... Why didn't the FAA protect people from all of those plane accidents you pointed out? No matter what happens. ... you are sitting there telling me how much worse the aviation industry would be without the FAA protecting us. What if things would be no different, or even safer?

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Libertarian Boy has thoughts. I prefer trifold pamphlets.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Colgan, not Conair.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Libertarian of means with ability to live where he pleases splits time between northeast US and France; decries heavy-handed regulatory state.

6. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Right, because I'm sure that, left to their own devices, regulated industries would maintain or improve their safety practices rather than cutting them to increase profit margins while simultaneously putting the public at risk.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

. you are sitting there telling me how much worse the aviation industry would be without the FAA protecting us. What if things would be no different, or even safer?

Why, how stupid of me to realize that unregulated big business, with no Federal oversight, would alway puts the health, safety and convenience of its customers first. The tobacco industry is a perfect example. Banking too!

8. Regan MacNeil

The market will take care of it. If United is crashing a lot, just fly American!

Fred siegle and Woody Long like this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

People had the choice not to smoke. I am a serious thinker.

Woody Long likes this.
  10. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

"The kid who swallows too many marbles doesn't grow up to have kids of his own! Natural selection!" - George Carlin

11. Regan MacNeil

That won't happen once FEMA is on the case.

Federal
    Emergency
    Marble
    Agency

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The dead hand of regulation is stifling the marble market. Make Aggies Great Again.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted