1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Nor did I say I wanted more regulatory capture. I don't want industry to manipulate regulatory agencies to their own end. I want strong regulation of industries, especially ones with goverment-enabled monopolies (utilities, for example), industries upon which our society's basic function relies (transportation, energy, food, medicine), and industries that, oh, if unchecked, will predatorily fuck consumers and/or crash the economy (finance).

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I, for one, look forward to the chance to buy unregulated meat again.

3. Woody Long

Think about all those delicious offal meats and how cheap you'll be able to buy them once the cost of USDA meat packing plant safety regulations are taken out!

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Just a tiny bit of unregulated chopped off minimum wage working class finger really goes a long ways in a pound of hamburger.

garrow, dixiehack and Woody Long like this.
  5. Woody Long

Libertarianism is best described in one of two ways: It's either the psychology of a schoolyard bully applied to economics or a pseudo-intellectual justification for racism - and sometimes it's both.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  6. Woody Long

If the working class didn't want their fingers to be chopped off while grinding up ungraded beef in a post-USDA world, they'd just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, and if they don't, they must not have wanted to succeed badly enough. To them, I say, "Hard cheese!"

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Governor of Tennessee has a - unique - running buddy ramping up charter schools.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/n...pi0L2qSN1hC-PlD3XbS-kD1xoP3j_g5GL-1fcbTA-xeXU

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. Woody Long

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

America needs sweatshops too. Child labor laws are unchristian and therefore unconstitutional

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The onus would have been on Boeing's customers to make sure the plane was safe, rather than being able to hide behind the cover of the FAA, which had made it so that they could buy the planes, put them in the air and fall back on, "The regulatory agency told us they are safe."

Here's the thing. ... I am not claiming that bad things would never happen if the people who bore the risks of things weren't left to ensure safety on their own. Or to what extent.

And we'll never know if the MAX gets off the ground or not without the FAA being the thing that enabled it.

Yet, what I have posted triggered people so much that I had a few people responding with dumb comments about me (no response to what I actually posted), others doing some "libertarian" characterization with whatever that they think follows from their characterization (rather than responding to what I actually said) and then just the plain dumb attempts at saracasm.

What I didn't hear? The FAA was what was supposed to protect people supposedly, but it did the exact opposite in the case of the MAX. Those deaths happened because of the FAA. Not one attempted sarcastic post or an explanation about the thing that actually happened (instead of a gazillion strawmen about what bad things would certainly happen if people felt responsible for their own safety) because of the regulatory agency that is so vital in their minds.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

History tells us that that caused the Cuyahoga River to catch on fire which is directly responsible for the formation of the EPA - which is the last time I checked was a regulatory body. But who gives a f*** right?

Draft saved Draft deleted