1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are preaching to the choir.

But I wasn't discussing climate change or what our future may or may not potentially look like if we don't choose to act.

I was discussing how we should want to regulate people's behavior in a democracy where the rule of law matters.

I'd point out that for every amorphous "Big Business" and "Big Energy" you want to throw at me, I can toss back a "Big ESG" or "Big Environmental Groups" that pushes its way to the table and exerts its influence, too, when it can. That is certainly true within the regulatory agencies, where coming from one of those organizations makes you the expert. It's just as true when we legislate via. ... actual legislation.

Here is my problem (after I said you are preaching to the choir) with hyperbolic appeals to "my grandchildren!" We could try to address climate change with an edict that outlaws fossil fuels tomorrow and forces people to learn how to rub two sticks together if they want to cook their food. It's a cost that most people just aren't willing to pay because of the hit they'd take to their standards of living and qualify of life.

There is no one, "We need to do X immediately!" These are CHOICES that we need to make, and everyone weighs the potential benefits (based on what knowledge we have about global warming, its causes and its effects) vs. the costs of those choices (which we can understand better, because they are more immediate). If we are going to make those choices for everyone by legislating behavior, those laws should come out of a democratic process not by the people who gain executive power being able to circumvent what our elected legislatures do by appointing people who make the rules without any accountability. The courts should have no place in legislating either.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

BTW, I think there is a certain dishonesty to anyone who argues for agencies like the EPA to be able to regulate all of us autonomously. ... but made a stink over the things that Scott Pruitt did when he was in charge (although I thought there was an odd sort of honesty in that he didn't make any effort to hide the corruption).

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

About a step and a half removed from this:

[​IMG]

Fred siegle and dixiehack like this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

This isn’t too dystopian

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hillsdale College - a liberal arts school in name only.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hillsdale College has been furiously pounding the drums the past few years to recast the image of Ty Cobb from an antisocial and probably racist SOB to
    an enlightened child of god preaching love and kindness for everyone.

Charles Leerhsen

Now, there is certainly little doubt that Al Stump exaggerated a lot of things and made up a few others (and the awful Tommy Lee Jones movie went far beyond that), but the persona of Ty Cobb as a hair-trigger screw-loose hothead who got into several racial confrontations probably typical of natives of rural Georgia born in 1887, wss alive and well long before Al Stump ever arrived -- it was well reported during his playing career.

It's also to be noted that when integration arrived in the late 40s with Jackie Robinson, Cobb issued a number of PC quotes saying Blacks were entitled to play. That of course has little to do with his own personal views on racial matters, more likely it just indicates Cobb was smart enough to read the tea leaves and he didn't want to get stuck on the wrong side of the issue for decades to come.

For some reason Hillsdale College seems to think it's its mission to lead the charge to scrub a white American Icon clean of the cloud of racism.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And yet none of the Black Sox could stand the son of a bitch.

tea and ease likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You don't have to imagine this. Go into Subway and order a "cold cut trio" sandwich.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

My first job was in Hillsdale
    Lasted 10 months
    Wasn’t into politics then
    Listened to a lot of stories the radio announcer told about Chester Marcol

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The snow driving scene in "Cobb" is more exciting than "Bullitt".

Draft saved Draft deleted