1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Eh, it's the usual Congressional horseshit. Happens with defense appropriations, the budget, damn near anything that looks like it will sail right through because it is a no-brainer, needs to be passed bill.

Pols from both parties start to attach amendments and lard the bill up with their favorite pork, and sometimes it reaches this point. This bill is an absolute crying need, as shown by the auto industry being hamstrung due to a lack of chips. The world's biggest semi-conductor factory is in Taiwan, and you can bet that the Chinese are drooling at the thought of seizing it in order to divert them to China's projects and deny them to the west. The U.S. needs to pass this, it is of vital importance to remaining near the leading edge in computer and electronic device design and manufacture.

The problem is finding a way to render out the fat.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, the U.S. does not need to pass this. Unless the members of Congress want to take up different careers and put up their own capital themselves (and take the risk) and go into business trying to manufacture and sell chips, they should stop trying to design things they have no fucking clue about. They are the arsonists riding in on the firetruck and you are cheerleading it.

The reason we don't manufacture chips here is that it is a capital intensive business and we have spent decades squashing any market incentive for people to save, both monetarily and fiscally. Savings fuels investment. Not elected people deciding by decree where capital (i.e. -- more debt because they don't have capital, so they rob our future) needs to be allocated. But we have punished savers to fuel the consumption everyone wants. Which is why we don't do things like manufacture chips here. If Congress wants to help, it can get out of the way and let people decide for themselves what the best ways to deploy their capital are. We don't need politicians trying to micomanage those decisions, it's immoral and it leads to epic malinvestment that we all pay for.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

This f*ckin' guy again?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If they try it, we burn this bitch to the ground.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if he's seen a party take a pass on investigating an attack on our capitol before either.
    Or seen a President surround himself with so much corruption. etc. etc. Hume and Lou Dobbs should have a "Grump-off."

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

My former paper ran Byron York's syndicated column. I begged to run a 'Everything Byron York just wrote is full of shit and here's why,' column underneath it because, well, everything Byron York writes is full of shit.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LMAO ...

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, there ARE Republicans on the Jan. 6 committee - just not the Republicans their leadership wanted. They had a chance to put members on and gave it the ole hard pass.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

They forced Pelosi's hand when McCarthy put forward likely material witnesses like Gym Jordan for the committee. McCarthy treated it like a joke and got slapped.

lakefront and garrow like this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I hate Republicans but Cheney almost sounds presidential. She does sound presidential compared to those other idiots, who wouldn't even be in the top 75% of the class at closing hour at the Bar Bottom Cafe/bar in Centennial on a Saturday night.

I Should Coco and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted