1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 30, 2022.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's such a good chance they could be active at the same time/place, too.

Cher and Sonny, not so much.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This is one reason why I call BS on trying to compare storm totals in the past to today. Advanced weather satellite imagery and data that didn't exist 60 or more years ago is making it harder to figure out if the increase in named storms is partly because of global warming, normal hurricane cycles or just noise.

I want to believe a warmer Atlantic -- and Gulf of Mexico -- is a causal relationship. But if you name something that's no more than a typical cold front at any other time of the year, you're moving the goalposts and being disingenious about what we should be concerned.

Just because a storm meets the absolute minimum standards of wind speed (>39 mph), that shouldn't be the sole definition required. The thing ought to at least have some sort of rotation or high probability of one to be declared worthy of a tropical system. Otherwise, the two thunderstorms that hit us on Friday packed more punch than Colin, so I'll just name them Thing 1 and Thing 2.

But because the weather buoys caught 35-knot winds off in the ocean, it gets a name. Even the first NHC advisory is almost tongue in cheek about it.

Tropical Storm Colin Discussion Number 1
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL032022
    500 AM EDT Sat Jul 02 2022

A small area of low pressure formed along a surface trough just
    offshore of Savannah, Georgia, yesterday morning and moved inland
    across the Lowcountry of South Carolina by the evening. Deep
    convection formed near the low center as it was moving inland and
    has persisted and become better organized over the past 6 to 12
    hours. In addition, surface observations and ASCAT data from
    02-03 UTC indicated that an area of sustained 35-kt winds had
    developed offshore and near the coast of South Carolina. As a
    result, and rather unexpectedly, Tropical Storm Colin has formed
    near the South Carolina coast, centered just inland a bit to the
    northeast of Charleston.

Driftwood, MileHigh and Batman like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Honestly, when I lived in South Florida, "tropical storm" didn't mean squat to me. Took at least Cat 1 to get my attention, and a strong Cat 1 to make me touch the storm shutters.

MileHigh, Batman and maumann like this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Were you close to Clinton? Could have grabbed this all-timer hed ... factor in the headlines during the day:

https://ifunny.co/picture/independent-bonnie-blows-clinton-pPN43DAo1?s=cl

franticscribe and ChrisLong like this.
  5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

6. Sam Mills 51

Don't sweat it. Most of the people in Sampson County don't read The Sampson Independent.

Back then, the Star-News was a pretty decent publication, and no one in or near New Hanover County looked to this publication for much of anything.

IIRC, it made the blunder circuit. I ran off a pile of copies and passed them around to my hometown newsroom, which ate it up. One of those editors talked to the editor who "wrote" that hed. She was not the sharpest tool in the shed.

(The least Bonnie could have done was join Monica in exile. At least they would have had one another and plenty of stories.)

maumann likes this.
  7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Something else they've been doing the last couple years is issuing all these tornado warnings for these so-called little circulations inside the hurricanes. They'll be dozens of them, if not more scattered around the landscape when a hurricane comes in. Do these people ever go outside during a hurricane? Inside the big wind there's always little tiny gusts of wind sound completely different but they are not tornadoes. Are there some tornadoes? Yes but the little tiny things that they show are not tornadoes. I call them the wind inside the wind and they're one of my favorite parts of hurricanes.

maumann likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

fuckin Sampson County. Jesus Christ. About the only thing it has going is it’s not Harnett County.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Anyone down there know how hard Little Washington got hit?

maumann likes this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Nothing newsworthy ... or no one has reported it.

Beaufort County is still there.

11. Sam Mills 51

Got along very well with people in Sampson County. Don't blame the county because the paper was - and still is - horrible. That operation was horribly run long before much better operations were pulled down somewhere near their level.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Good, best friend from college lives there and I heard the Pamlico Sound area was gonna get hammered.

Draft saved Draft deleted