1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Happy Fourth, all those on the beat today.

maumann likes this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And someone (Jim Thome?) flew out to the track in left to strand a couple in the first inning against El Duque in G4.

Hermes likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Are my ears deceiving me or is that John Sterling on the call? I remember watching it live. It is, now that I listen to the very end of the clip. "It is high. It is deep. It is gone."

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

July 4 and no Yankee game scheduled.

MLB truly sucks

heyabbott and maumann like this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The World Series was also a competitive sweep. The Padres were in most of those games until the Yankees took control late.

Hermes likes this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ehh, 4-0 is 4-0. But Mark Langston got FUCKED.

mpcincal likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Orioles vs. Rangers today. Tie game. Bottom 10. Bases loaded. Pitch hits O's Jorge Mateo, who stumbles a bit and is in pain. Somebody apparently tells him that the must proceed to first base and touch it before the game can be deemed over. Teammates help him walk up the line and touch the base. Celebration ensues.
    This is the first walk-off HBP in Orioles history. But more importantly, what about this: What if the batter is incapable of taking the base because he has been hit by the pitch in the head and he is unconscious? Must he be replaced by a pinch runner?
    I looked in the rulebook pretty carefully and couldn't find this case covered specifically. Am I missing something? Some Quora message board cited chapter and verse, but it didn't apply. Is there, in fact, a chapter and verse in the book that applies?
    https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/atcjzj9j7wrgvsm8wnjq.pdf

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

A substitute runner would be permitted in that case. There is a casebook reference to an incapacitated runner, such as that or unable to run the bases after a home run.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thanks for that language in particular. It helped me find the thing.

(3) When an accident incapacitates a player or an umpire;

(A) If an accident to a runner is such as to prevent him from proceeding to a base to which he is entitled, as on a home run hit out of the playing field, or an award of one or more bases, a substitute runner shall be permitted to complete the play.

Matt1735 likes this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Happened to Ray Chapman, too.

What, too soon?

Baron Scicluna, maumann and Songbird like this.
  12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Saw MLB three games in three cities over four days recently.

Say what you want about how the game has evolved, etc., but the baseball in-person experience is still, by far, the most pleasing to me.

Larry King's News And Views, out.

jr/shotglass, sgreenwell and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted