1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Tighthead likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given the frequency of them - who has the best home run call among announcers today? All time? Give me something basic, and consistent so when it starts I know I should lean in a bit, before the payoff. Don't be too cute.

A lot of variations of "It's a shot deep to (Center, Left or right)' Still going and it's gone." Sterling's are so bad, Did Vin Scully have a consistent HR call?

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This will be in my brain forever. Tried to find his actual voice, but a quick Google search only came up with his best, most iconic calls. This was his normal call:

It's a high drive to deep right field ... back goes Aaron ... to the wall ... she is gooooone.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

"There’s a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that’ll be a home run. And so that’ll make it a 4-0 ballgame.”

dixiehack and Regan MacNeil like this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Duane Kuiper’s “there’s a high drive to (field) it … is … outta here!” Is pretty good. When Bonds would crush one and everyone knew it, he would lean into it with a “he hits it high! Hits it deep! It … is … outta here!”

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guardians pbp man Tom Hamilton has a great home run call.

Hasn't had many to call lately since the Guardians stopped hitting them and can't win anymore.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"That one is gonzo!" was my PXP homer call. Got called too rarely to become tired.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We have a an annoucer at Oregon State - Mike Parker, does it all - football, hoops and baseball - great at all of them. He's said in the past, when you are doing radio, it helps to be a second or two "behind" the action so you can accurately reflect the impact of a certain play. The folks listening don't know. Nothing more embarrasing than someone going into their HR call and then midway through saying on air. "Why is he stopping at second?"

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see how the upcoming reboot series handles that.

The AAGPBL did not have a good record on integration; of course, they couldn't have in 1943 when the league was launched, since it was still two years away from Jackie Robinson's signing in Organized Baseball. But they kept foot-dragging and being flatly dismissive of black players into the 1950s. No black player ever played in an official AAGPBL game.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, here's the sane, level-headed Chris Sale after his rehab start in Worcester tonight:

I hope someone reminds the psycho that Triple A teams don't have quite the budget to repair clubhouse damages that their Major League parents do, and that he should probably get out his own checkbook.

Draft saved Draft deleted