1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boys on Amazon - spoiler thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Sorry was taken aback by the Trump comment.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Understood. They do throw some haymakers at the Newsmax types.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Welp...

Is Soldier Boy telling the truth? Hmmmm...

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is a reversal of roles from the source material. In the comic, Homelander had sex with Soldier Boy and he came from Stormfront's DNA. In the show, he had sex with Stormfront and he came from Soldier Boy's DNA.

Homelander wasn't in a relationship with Soldier Boy in the comics. It was more of an abuse of power thing. He told him maybe he could get into The Seven if he did a good enough job, then told him no when it was over. Soldier Boy and Stormfront were very different in the comics, including the latter being a man in the source material.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

My mind hurts right now trying to comprehend all of that.

I imagine they flipped it to have the Trump figure not have homosexual relations and be in bed with (literally) Nazis.

Again, head hurts.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. outofplace

Maybe. They also wanted a formidable version of Soldier Boy, which they don't have in the comics.

The show's version of Stormfront was so much more fun than the print version.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. outofplace

I just watched the season finale. I'm still digesting. It definitely had some diabolical moments, but I'm actually a little disappointed.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They mostly chickened out. Gotta set up the circle for next season!

9. Spartan Squad

The final battle was way less intense than it could have been, but there was a lot of nuance built in, which was interesting.

The death of Black Noir felt premature. For all the build up, all we got was Homelander feeling cheated he didn’t know he had a dad? I don’t think we needed to see Noir die there to get that. Kind of wished it happened during the fight, but then we wouldn’t have seen Maeve battle Homelander. In any case.

Also, I’m not sure if they know what to do with Deep. Maybe we get more in the next season, but he’s kind of there just to get shit on with no payoff.

But on the positive end, it was a good send off for Maeve, even if they teased her story isn’t over yet. Ryan going full Trump, Jr. at the end was interesting. Should make the next season fun. Also Kimiko wrecking shop was amazing. Great song choice.

10. OscarMadison

Good grief. That Mona Lisa smile on Ryan at the end.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. OscarMadison

12. outofplace

Black Noir's fate was my biggest problem with the episode, too, though I think there was more to Homelander's motivation. Black Noir was one of the few people he thought he could trust. He felt like that was a betrayal. That said, they really didn't pay off all that weird setup.

Maeve's fight with Homelander was a welcome surprise, so much better than their confrontation in the comics.

Of course, Black Noir and Maeve are drastically different in the show. The twist with Black Noir in the comics was absolutely fantastic.

OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted